Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im wondering if anyone can help with some advice???? i have a 360 sbc with under 3000 miles. i have dart pro1 200cc heads, vic jr high rise intake, 750 holley hp carb. im having a issue with the spark plugs fouling within 2 weeks, im experincing backfire on high rpm's and on 3rd gear. occasionally i'll hear it on 2nd gear around 6000. i pulled the plugs out and replaced them and what i found was 1 & 3 had oil on them, the rest looked a little lean but not by much. when i put the new ones in, it ran like when it does 11.90's. but then a couple of weeks go by and the same issue. i have no oil leaks from the valve covers and i have a evac system on them. i do notice a drop in oil, but a quart every 2 months or so (and its a daily driver) i was suspecting that it might be a intake issue, but i have no cooling problems or any trace of chocolate milk in the oil. any help or advice will be appreciated, thanks
if any questions to help, feel free to ask

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry i knew i forgot something, i have a hei dist and plugs are gapped at 45, i have used the recommended cold plug dart has on thier heads, but i have seen better runs with 2 step hotter plugs and have used the current plugs for a while. I was thinking about the rings, but since its kinda still a fresh engine, im hoping thats not it

·
Registered
17,613 Posts
I'd bet Vinnie nailed it with intake gaskets. If the heads and intake manifold are not parallel in X and Y, there is a possibility of the intake gasket(s) not sealing on the bottom of one or more intake ports and allowing the motor to suck in oily crankcase vapors when the intake valve opens. Remove the intake manifold and inspect very closely for all ports being pinched the same thickness all the way around each port.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think thats correct and makes sense, im using felpro 1205 which dart recommends, but i always thought they were too thin, are there any you guys would recommend that are better or thicker?? Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok quick update, i replaced the intake gaskets and saw the inner ports had oil saturated in it. I let it sit for better part of the day. I took it out for a spin and first thing i noticed was there used to be a mild smell of gas, and i noticed it gone. It had a little bit of backfire, but then it slowly went away. Im going to give it a good run tomorrow and see how the plugs come out

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok guys heres a update, i finally got around to testing it due to work, i checked all the plugs again and found all if them were burning nicely, except for 1 & 3 had slight trace of oil, but not like it used to be. I also lowered the gap to 40 As recommended. The test drive felt AWESOME!!! I dropped the timing to 38 total at 3000k. IT ran real well, so im going to give it a week and re-check the plugs. Thanks for all the advice guys

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok guys heres a update, i finally got around to testing it due to work, i checked all the plugs again and found all if them were burning nicely, except for 1 & 3 had slight trace of oil, but not like it used to be. I also lowered the gap to 40 As recommended. The test drive felt AWESOME!!! I dropped the timing to 38 total at 3000k. IT ran real well, so im going to give it a week and re-check the plugs. Thanks for all the advice guys

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.