Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i'm scratch-building a car and need to know how deep the oil pan on a 350 chevy is at the FRONT. My steering linkage will have to go under the pan just a few inches back. I know there's a lot of different pans out there but i'm talking about just a standard, stock chevy pan. thanks

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
Hi, i'm scratch-building a car and need to know how deep the oil pan on a 350 chevy is at the FRONT. My steering linkage will have to go under the pan just a few inches back. I know there's a lot of different pans out there but i'm talking about just a standard, stock chevy pan. thanks
On my factory Vortec 350 pan (it's similar to the one below) I'm getting about 3-3/4" from the pan rail to the first (front most) step, about 5-1/2" at the second step before the rear sump.

·
Registered
17,613 Posts
Aha! I just figured out that it will work after all to put the steering linkage in front on this car. which elimenates the need to go under the pan.
If the car was originally rear steer, swapping the spindles side to side to make a front steer car will not work. I don't know what you had in mind, I'm just trying to read ahead.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If the car was originally rear steer, swapping the spindles side to side to make a front steer car will not work. I don't know what you had in mind, I'm just trying to read ahead.
as i said, i'm scratchbuilding this car so i don't have an "original car". in this case i will just have to use the front spindles from a vehicle with front steer. i was planning to go with pre-1981 ford truck spindles(which are rear steer), so i'll switch to post-1981(which are front steer). but if you foresee any problems with this please let me know!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.