Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
4 chevys and a ford
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK Ford guys. I am a chevy fan myself, but I have inherited a 1990 f150.
The quintessential " only driven to church on sunday by a 90 old man".

The truck has been great; nearly bullet proof-I'm pleasantly surprised.

I would like to get some of the oil leaks fixed. Its leaking from all the regular places, seeing that it is almost all original.

I was reading through the manual about replacing the oil pan gasket and it say....

unbolt and jack the engine up, shove 2x4 in there to hold the engine in place, drop the oil pump into the pan, Then somehow
reach in and bolt the oil pump back in place after placing the new gasket.

Seriously??? Why???

Is there a trick, shortcut, or better way to replace the gasket.
Or am I looking at taking a whole day just to replace the gasket?

Please help Ford guys!
Brian

·
Administrator
8,477 Posts
Must be a 5.0. It has to be unbolted so you can slide the pan out. Pump is in front of pan in front hump, with the pan hanging down , you can unbolt the pump, drop it into the pan and slide pan back , down , and out. Its a clearance thing. The pan comes out if the pump isnt attached.
Sounds like a good ride. I had a 90 F 150 4x4 short bed. I loved that truck.Traded up to a newer one, for almost nothing in cash difference. Hard to pass up that deal

·
4 chevys and a ford
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is a 5.0

It sat in a barn for 5 years while the paper work was worked out.
When I went to get it, I wasn't sure what the condition would be.
But it started right up. I figured the fuel pump would be seized, injectors
shot...etc. But it cranked right up. I drove it across the street to a shop
which did a basic tune up and Its been running strong for almost four years since then.

If I get the oil leaks fixed it will be a top notch 23 year truck.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
213 Posts
I am a Chevy guy too but had a ford van. My pan leaked too, my neighbor works at ford and told me I could cheat and just drop the pan enough to get the gasket out and the new one in. It worked like a charm but mine was the inline 300 6cylinder. Good luck

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Are you certain it's the Oil Pan? I have a '95 F150 (5.8) that I can't seem to part with (it's got less than 100K on it), and it sees about 500-1500 Miles a Year (maybe)-anyway, while I have replaced the Pan Gasket once, it's the Converter seal that leaks (because it sits so much)-I have replaced it three times now, and it's starting to leak again-

·
Licenced Automotive Technician
1,625 Posts
If you use a 1 piece gasket, and drop the pan down, rinse ALL the oil out of the sump with brakleen, you can tie fine wire to a bolt hole on the gasket on either side, and "fish" it around the pump and pickup. The Fel-Pro gasket sets come with "snap up" tools to hold the pan and gasket in place while you start your bolts, as well. Have done lots like this.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.