Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
70 El Camino aka FRANKENSTEIN
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i got a 350SBC with a TH350. i tried to remove my oil pan earlier today but couldnt. i remover the flywheel cover, fan shroud, and my HEI distributer cap. i removed the through bolt on the motor mounts and removed the trany mount bolts. i jacked up my motor as much as i could and still could not get the pan out. when i go to pull the pan out the back of the pan hits the flywheel just enough that i cant wiggle it out. am i missin something???

·
Some Punk Kid
786 Posts
The way I have been able to do is holding the sump pull down as you push forward till back of pan hits the pickup or oil pump. It should only need that little bit to get past the flexplate. Do you have a little bar that goes engine mount to engine mount?

·
Banned
1,971 Posts
wow i cant believe you remofed those parts and jacked the engine up and it still wont come out

dang!

what vehicle is this in?

an elky ?

thats crazy stuff man

rotating the crank to 6 o clock mark position is a good point

that may do it hopefully.,

if not then wow i dunno what to say :O

hope you finally get the pan dropped :thumbup:

·
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ya i got it out took me a couple days to try and figure it out but i got it off and back on no leaks... (thankfully). ya its a 1970 el camino. i ended up haven to remove the dipstick for the tranny to get that much more rooom to life the motor and then i had to jack up the tranny. still didnt wanna come out but after a few love taps lol (rubber hammer) i got it outta there.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
The last oil pan I resealed that way (a 283 in a '65 Chevy Malibu) went pretty much the same way yours did. I think it would have been quicker and easier in the long run to just pull the tranny and engine as a combo.

·
Registered
584 Posts
elcaminodragster said:
ya i got it out took me a couple days to try and figure it out but i got it off and back on no leaks... (thankfully). ya its a 1970 el camino. i ended up haven to remove the dipstick for the tranny to get that much more rooom to life the motor and then i had to jack up the tranny. still didnt wanna come out but after a few love taps lol (rubber hammer) i got it outta there.
Mine's leaking a bit on my 64.. Whenever I got it, I already saw how much you have to do just to get the oil pan off.. yeaaaa not gonna bother, lol.

·
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
it was a big pain in the but but ive never just passed or given up on anything on my car or any car. not to brag but there has yet to be something i cant figure out. i have a lotta probs but i always figure it out. well aside from my most recent prob http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/dead-spot-my-throttle-109259.html

still figurein that one out.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Classix_Lover said:
Mine's leaking a bit on my 64.. Whenever I got it, I already saw how much you have to do just to get the oil pan off.. yeaaaa not gonna bother, lol.
Sure it's a pain, but if you can do without the car for a couple of days, it's a great time to pull the engine, fix the leak, repaint the engine, exhaust manifolds or headers, clean-up the firewall and fender wells, tape up those dangling wires and repaint everything under the hood and put it all back together and remedy that leak that's really just bothering the hell out of you! Or maybe not.... :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.