Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving my 68 oldsmobile the other day and i noticed the temperature rapidly climbing, also the oil pressure began to drop. It is usualy around 35 or 40 however it was about 20 when driving and would almost hit 0 when stoped. I replaced the leaky bypass hose and the thermostat (165 degree). Temp seems to be OK now but the oil is still dropping and staying VERY LOW. What gives?

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Oil Pressure

Doc here ::pimp:

Electric or mechanical gauge?

You indicated it overheated, Did IT?

How hot did it get, for how long?

Check your oil, see if it's Thin and milky in color, If it is you have a blown Head gasket, Warped or cracked head / Block.....If It's OK,

Change the oil and filter either way, It may have gotten Contaminated or lost viscosity from high heat....

If after Changing the oil, and it's not milky, and It still loses pressure, You may have a check Valve in the oil pump or the pump, going out.

Doc :pimp:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well it usualy stays around 195, it hit 210 when i shut it off and it continued to rise to 230. the guage is mechanical

took a while to get back down to a temp that the car would start at

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no work done recently new intake put on a few months ago. Yes i know the pressure gets lower but this is not how it usualy performed 0 PSI?

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Temps

gilliganspl said:
well it usualy stays around 195, it hit 210 when i shut it off and it continued to rise to 230. the guage is mechanical

took a while to get back down to a temp that the car would start at
Doc here :pimp:

210 is not unusually hot...unless your gauge is in error on the low side...when you rose to 230, that was heat soak, a normal condition. This occurs because the water is no longer Circulating or cooling.

As lluciano77 Said, did you check the oil for Coolant leaking into the oil during or after the manifold change? Have you checked the color and level of the oil ?

Could the busted bypass have sprayed coolant into an oil filler?

Change the oil, Filter, and try it again.

If it goes to Zero after warm, I'd suspect a Check valve in the oil pump, Or the pump itself.

The Check valve only allows oil flow in one direction to keep pressure up, If it were stuck, or failing, it would send the pressure up and down with engine speed.

The other Suspect, If it were High mileage, or you ran it a long time with Coolant in the oil, would be worn main bearings...

another Real good reason to change the oil anyway...in case you got coolant in there..

Does the Engine "Clatter" or knock when the pressure is low? or can you hear a low Rumble when you drive down the road?

Doc :pimp:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
im going to drain the oil and change the filter today. The valves are ticking if that is what you mean by clattering. that would lead me to believe im getting poor circulation yes?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts