Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guyz i have a chevy 400 recently i rebuilt it and it runs fine. it has a melling high volume pump, today it was pretty hot at 95 degrees i notice that at idle in gear the gauge went to nearly 0 which i thought was weird but when i accelerated it went back up to normal.

Is this normal or do you guyz think i have problem? electronic gauges btw

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
4 Posts
when you say 95 degrees do you mean the weather or the temp of engine ?
i'd start checking things right away gage , sensor etc. in the mean time don't drive it , but if you have to at least keep your foot on gas pedal enough to keep oil pressure up a little

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it was 95 degrees outside and
its a factory gauge, its in a 1978 gmc jimmy full size. i didnt figure the gauge would be 100% accurate but it just scared me a little

It does have a fram filter could that be an issue?

·
More for Less Racer
20,941 Posts
Fram filters collapsing internally is a known issue in the last few years, and I have personally seen it on a friends street/strip car. I wouldn't trust the factory gauge as far as I could throw it, especially reading electrical resistance through 25 year old wiring. It could be 20 lbs off in either direction, usually low, and different from day to day.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.