Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will a oil pump off a 302 work on a 351w? Im just curious because the only reason you cant use the same dist. on both engines is because the size of the driveshaft. If the 302 oil pump would fit a 351w then could you use the same distributor from a 302 on the 351?

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
oil pump

302 and 351 use different size pump drive shafts, and dont enterchange. The distributor socket for them is also different sizes.

the guide bore that the oil pump drive socket goes down into is also smaller on a 302. I suppose it would be possible to use a 302 pump in a 351, but not vise versa. You would also have to use the 302 distributor as well.

I would compare the offsets on the mounts for the two pumps. IF they appear the same, then I would try bolting the 302 pump onto the 351 and drop the 302 distributor in and see if it all lines up. I hope you arent planning to use this in a good engine, as the drive socket for the oil pump shaft requires close fit in the guide hole for stability, and with that guide bore being larger in the 351 than in a 302, that could cause a problem with some shaft stability.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts