Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
18,633 Posts
I believe they should be the same length...I may be wrong, havnt had a BB in 30 years. Are you measuring the whole distributer, or just the part that goes in the engine. I thinik its just not all the way into the oil pump shaft. Turn the engine over and it should fall into place.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
poncho62 said:
I believe they should be the same length...I may be wrong, havnt had a BB in 30 years. Are you measuring the whole distributer, or just the part that goes in the engine. I thinik its just not all the way into the oil pump shaft. Turn the engine over and it should fall into place.
I'm no rookie either. We pulled the engine this AM and sure enough, it had a drive shaft 3/4" longer than a SBC shaft should be. I don't know how that happened but it did.

Cheers!

Merry Christmas to all.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BTW, the correct shaft for a 400SBC is different than the others. A 400 SBC takes a shaft that has it's diameter relieved for about 3". Something about main bearing clearance. Other SBC can use either shaft.

Didn't know that either.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.