Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a Mellen hi flow oil pump in my sbc 350. When i start the engine i don't get any oil to the top end. I'm afraid to run it for longer than 5 seconds so I haven't. I tried using a screwdriver shaped piece attached to a drill but I can't get it to stay in the pump rod for long because it doesn't stay straight, it wobbles. Also, which way are you supposed to turn it, clockwise or counter clockwise? When i bench tested it it seemed to draw from the screen side when turning the shaft counter clockwise. ANYWAY, is this normal? Does it have something to do with being high flow? Oh yeah, and also, my pick up is submerged in oil so its not that. I would appreciate any help. Thanks

·
Registered
9,050 Posts
It may take a few minutes to pump up the lifters and get oil to the top end on initial fire up. The type of oil primer you are using does not fill the lifter oil galley with oil . All it does is fill the pump and filter. The distrib has to be in the block to seal the lifter oil area.

Oil all of your rocker arm pivots and the pushrod tips and valve tops and fire the engine .. SOON you will have oil squirting all over the walls of your garage!!!!

·
Registered
9,050 Posts
At least three full minutes and you should see a couple of the rockers squirting. As long as you have pressure on the guage the top end on a chevy will take care of itself most of the time.

Hell, I was out street racing ( we didn't really do that.... did we??!!)one very early morning. Lost a pushrod thru a rocker arm and the lifter jumped out of the hole. Oil pressure went to 5 lbs. I drove it 10 miles home (no other choice) sweating all the way . But the motor went many miles and high rpms after the repair and never hurt it. Held F/stock record at the local strip..

·
Registered
380 Posts
If you think something is wrong, and you're seriously concerned about it, you can go buy the oil primer tool for about $12 at your local store. During priming with the tool, watch your oil pressure gauge, if it still reads 0, something is wrong. Im assuming the plug is installed in the oil passage by the oil pump?
Id cover the top end with oil, and let it run at idle for the said 3 minutes and see if oil pressure goes up if you didnt want spend the money on the tool.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No I don't mind buying the tool and I will tomorrow. My car has that stupid digital gauge set. (85 vette) btw. Since i havent rebuilt the engine just changed the timing gears and chain, new push rods, new water and oil pump i don't see how I could be missing a plug next to # 5 cap. I just dropped the pan and swapped out the old pump for new, nothing more. thanks, rick

·
Come Home Safe Soldier
846 Posts
You can buy the tool for a few bucks that primes the pump,or you can make one.I made mine just because I happened to have an old distributor laying around.I cut the shaft with a chop saw,what a task.I also cut the housing right under the base. Hook up to a good drill and work at it for awile.You wont get instant pressur eif there is moly lube on any cam journals for a few minutes.Grab you a cheap mechanical gauge with the nylon line,hook it up at the boss right behind the distributor and lay it right where you can see it.You will more than likely wear the battery out on a cordless drill,so use a good electric drill.

·
Come Home Safe Soldier
846 Posts
Cool man.It is always a relief and a pleasure to hear it run when you get dine doing any type of job like that.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, it took a while but oil is finally coming up to the heads. Instead of buying the tool to prime the oil pump i used my distributor by just disconnecting the power to the distributor and fuel pump. The only thing is i don't get oil shooting across the room, it just fills the rocker area. As a matter of fact, i can remember 6 years ago adjusting the valves and seeing the same thing, no shooting all over the place. It hasn't hurt anything all these years so i guess its alright. thanks R.C. , rick

·
Come Home Safe Soldier
846 Posts
On your oil pump,it should come with an extra spring.One spring allows high volume,the other allows for standard pressure.The oil really does not need to shoot all over the place,which it may do after running at normal engine RPM's.The oil needs to run down the rocker,instead of just spraying all over the inside of the valve cover.If you have oil running from all the rocker fulcrums you are in good shape.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mine didn't come with any extra springs. There was just a pump in the box, nothing else. I bought the shaft seperately also.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts