Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some questions on sbc oil pump pickup clearances. I have 2 pumps with 2 different pickups. The first is the m55, and the second is the m55hv. The m55 was supplied by the machine shop with the pickup already installed. The problem with this pump, is that the bottom of the pickup hits the pan. I have checked with the gasket in place and it still hits. Its parrel to the block too. It would probally work but the pickup screen would be less than .200 off the bottom. The secong pump I bought was the m55hv (local parts store) with the recomended pickup. The problem with the one is that I have rock the pickup alittle to get the screen of pickup to 1/2" clearance (it would be close to 3/4" clearance if it was parralel to the block. Is this ok? Any other suggestions? The oil pan is stock and is 7.5 inches deep. I wanted to go with the high volume because I dont know what the engine clearances are, and I run an external oil cooler. Thanks again for all the help guys and or gals.

·
http://www.warsprints.com
2,024 Posts
V3500 said:
I have some questions on sbc oil pump pickup clearances. I have 2 pumps with 2 different pickups. The first is the m55, and the second is the m55hv. The m55 was supplied by the machine shop with the pickup already installed. The problem with this pump, is that the bottom of the pickup hits the pan. I have checked with the gasket in place and it still hits. Its parrel to the block too. It would probally work but the pickup screen would be less than .200 off the bottom. The secong pump I bought was the m55hv (local parts store) with the recomended pickup. The problem with the one is that I have rock the pickup alittle to get the screen of pickup to 1/2" clearance (it would be close to 3/4" clearance if it was parralel to the block. Is this ok? Any other suggestions? The oil pan is stock and is 7.5 inches deep. I wanted to go with the high volume because I dont know what the engine clearances are, and I run an external oil cooler. Thanks again for all the help guys and or gals.
With that size of pan, 3/4" is fine.

·
More for Less Racer
20,932 Posts
I disagree, 3/4" is way too far away. I would never run more than 1/2" and that is pushing it, 3/8" would be ideal. I'm not afraid to tip it some to get it closer to the pan bottom, it is being tipped in the right direction compared to the opening.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replys. Just what I thought, but I thought I should ask. I will tilt it alittle then. How important is it to weld the pickup. I have got it in the pump pretty solid, but its not welded. I tried on the m55 pump to weld (with a habor freight special welder) but the splatter got me nervous so I didnt on the m55hv. Isit fine just pressed in, or should I take it to someone who can braze it? I'm learning alot, thanks much for the help?

·
http://www.warsprints.com
2,024 Posts
V3500 said:
I should have read the question a little more carefully. The HV pump with 3/4" clearance is not going to work. I have run 3/4" clearance with a standard pump however with no issues. I personally think HV pumps have no place in a motor as a standard pump is more than sufficent.

·
More for Less Racer
20,932 Posts
If I don't braze it, it gets locktite on it if it doesn't have a bolt-on leg(Moroso/Milodon type). I have also made a leg using 12-14 ga x 1/2" strap to go from the bell to a pump body bolt. Make sure it clears the rotating parts and has a good sized foot to eliminate cracking where it is welded to the bell.

There is also a bolt-on failsafe retainer made for stock pick-up tubes, I don't remember who makes it but seems like S-10 Racer mentioned it recently (today?) in another thread.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.