Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK, after talkin to people everyone seems to think i single big turbo would be better for my 383 tan twins. So just to see what is out there. whats a good size single turbo? i am looking at:

garrett/air research T6 88 MM inducer 127 MM exducer on the compressor wheel .96 A/R on the compressor housing and 1.50 A/R turbine housing.
TOO BIG?

this is the one i think would be best...
Garrett T6 Thumper-88 MM inducer on the compressor wheel .95 A/R on the compressor housing and 1.38 A/R on the turbine housing

just kinda wantin to keep my options open. i can find a good one for cheaper than a twin turbo setup...

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
twin turbo is better than 1. 2 smaller turbo's will spool faster than 1 large 1, but if your going single follow this chart for generilization

then you need to find a compressor map for your chosen turbo, and read the map to figure out if it will be efficent or not

·
Troll Hunter
2,694 Posts
I have several books by Hugh MacInnes just called "Turbochargers". He gives a bunch of useful info and has a formula for sizing a turbo, whether single or dual. It's a cheap investment and well worth it. I have 3 of them and probably should get the newest one.

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
woodz428 said:
I have several books by Hugh MacInnes just called "Turbochargers". He gives a bunch of useful info and has a formula for sizing a turbo, whether single or dual. It's a cheap investment and well worth it. I have 3 of them and probably should get the newest one.
yeah, that book is recent to today's turbocharger technology, there are a lot of out dated supercharger and turbocharger books, which would work backward with some systems used today.

·
Troll Hunter
2,694 Posts
matt167 said:
yeah, that book is recent to today's turbocharger technology, there are a lot of out dated supercharger and turbocharger books, which would work backward with some systems used today.
I am sure, but the sizing is still relevant, which is what I thought initially was asked. He doesn't mention anything about Turbo accelerators and other developments, but the sizing formulas I think, would apply to the poster's question.

·
... & Insanity Ensues .....
933 Posts
the pt-76-gtq

it will EASILY support your 500hp goal, a 88mm turbo will have ALOT of lag and wont be fun unless this is a drag-only car

and stay away from master power turbos, guys over on ls1tech have had bad results with them. one guys is on his 4th warranty repair this year for the MP turbo he got

i like precision turbos, they arant the prettiest turbos around, but they preform FLAWLESSLY. and a pt76 right now is about 1050 (on sale), and im pretty sure thats the price of the ball bearing turbo

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
http://www.turboneticsinc.com/turbomatrix.htm

Lets say you build a low compression 383 (6.5 liter) with a mild cam (for a street turbo). And the engine makes 325hp with out any boost. Then you add 10 psi of boost and it will make 550hp. Then you need one T66 0.81a/r. If you build the engine with a little more cam for a base hp of 360, then use a T70 turbo for 600hp at 10 psi of boost.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Basicaly i am trying to make a "street legal" drag car. I was thinking around 500HP because the turbos would be rather cheap. if i could use the "thumper" (88 MM inducer on the compressor wheel .95 A/R on the compressor housing and 1.38 A/R on the turbine housing.) and get more horsepower i am fine with that, it doesnt HAVE to be streetable. I was just thinking it woulkd be fun to take out once and a while and cook some rice at the local "gathering"

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.