Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so after waiting weeks for my new Sata 3000 RP 1.4 to come in.. the tool guy finally delivered it yesterday.. well today i sprayed a few parts and man o man.. what have i been waiting for? with some quick fine tuning i had the thing laying clear down like a mirror.. and in half the time! I could not believe how this thing sprays. I used to use an iwata for clear.. i may as well run that thing over.

Moral of the story.. if u have the means to spend 600+ on a paint gun.. i suggest you get one of these!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Not to rain on your parade.

How is your Over Spray and Fog with that Air hog ?

That gun is comparable to the DevilBiss GFG-670 Plus but the Iwata LPH400LV
is superior to both of them IMHO.

I would love to see that RP lay down base with a 14" well defined fan at
only 14PSI .. LOL.

Not sure what Iwata you used for clear but $600 for a Sata thats as good
as the GFG-670 at less than half the price "Not a chance"

I sure hope you do not ever need to buy spare parts for it as your wallet will be in for a $$$ Shock.

X711.

·
Paintshop Dog
404 Posts
14PSI?? How much volume are you moving X?? I'm a big Sata fan myself but, I also use an Iwata LPH400 for clear. But, when it comes to base, You'd have to pry my NR95 from my lifeless hands!! I completely realize that is way old fashion, but, well, I guess I've sprayed with it for so much for so long, it's like an extension of my hand. I had the lowest material costs out of 30 corporate shops in Texas for a long while with them, so I wasn't putting it all in the filters either! And, trust me, I'll go up against anybody with any gun with it. I'd love to check out Sata's answer to the LPH400, it is about time! As for the "air-hog" comment, I really doubt it!

·
Registered
46 Posts
what gun to get...

hey guys,
any advice on a gun to get started? something good but not bank breaking. i have a CA TECHNOLOGIES gun. are they any good? i was thinking a detail gun...something close to the minijet but not as much $$$!
thanks guys!!!

~Jason
(516) Drum Co.
www.myspace.com/516drum

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have the lph400lv. in order to get the clear to spray how i like i pretty much toss the 14inch pattern in the garbage when i crank the fan pattern down. and even at that when im doing an overall im moving way to slow. It doesnt use much more material then the iwata. 12 ounces of clear got me 3 wet coats on a fender and a spoiler.. Material usuage was my main concern, but is no longer a worry. Honestly i hated the way the iwata sprayed base as well.

Maybe im using the iwata wrong.. but seriously ive never adjusted and re-adjusted a gun more then the iwata and ive owned it for well over a year.. and like i said.. some quick fine tuning of the RP made me far more happier.. oh yea.. and at only 24psi at the gun.

x711 said:
Not to rain on your parade.

How is your Over Spray and Fog with that Air hog ?

That gun is comparable to the DevilBiss GFG-670 Plus but the Iwata LPH400LV
is superior to both of them IMHO.

I would love to see that RP lay down base with a 14" well defined fan at
only 14PSI .. LOL.

Not sure what Iwata you used for clear but $600 for a Sata thats as good
as the GFG-670 at less than half the price "Not a chance"

I sure hope you do not ever need to buy spare parts for it as your wallet will be in for a $$$ Shock.

X711.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what are u planning on painting? a minijet only gets u so far.. altought ive sprayed half the side of a car with one before :pain: .. i use a sata minijet4 with a 1.0 needle on a daily basis and u really cant beat it. But i also own a sharpe finex mini and im more then happy with it so far especially for the price.

If you are going to get a standard gun and want quality with a good price id just go on ebay and get a used sata or devilbis etc... 1.4 needle is pretty universal so id stick with that if u plan on owning one gun. you can spray base, clear and 2k primers with that.

TackBradley said:
hey guys,
any advice on a gun to get started? something good but not bank breaking. i have a CA TECHNOLOGIES gun. are they any good? i was thinking a detail gun...something close to the minijet but not as much $$$!
thanks guys!!!

~Jason
(516) Drum Co.
www.myspace.com/516drum

·
Registered
321 Posts
The Iwata LPH400LV comes in two flavors.

P/N LPH-400-144LV = LPH400 with 1.4mm tip, 16psi for atomization 9cfm average consumption.

P/N LPH-400-144LVB = LPH400 with a different Cap, The optional cap costs about $90.00

10 t0 14 psi for full atomization, 8.3 CFM average consumption.

The LVB variety is only suitable for Base coats ,, Not clears.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think the Iwata is a really good gun. Its input air requirements are low
and its Tulip shaped pattern creates a soft sweet spot while painting.

Its pretty much One of a kind.

Most people using the lph400 LV gun for clear run it at 18 to 20PSI input
pressure.

Thanks .. X711

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
I'm more than happy with the LPH400LV for clear and SS, most of the SATA people I know have switched over to the LV. I haven't found anything that compares to the atomization and transfer at low pressure that I get with the LV. The SataRP version I tried didn't impress me at all. My Satajet90 stills sees continued use for spraying base but I'm considering the purchase of an LVB setup and expect I'll probably save about 10% on paint usage.

We're lucky to have a lot of good guns out there these days, spray with what you like and how you like to spray.

·
Technician
701 Posts
beemdubya said:
Ok so after waiting weeks for my new Sata 3000 RP 1.4 to come in.. the tool guy finally delivered it yesterday.. well today i sprayed a few parts and man o man.. what have i been waiting for? with some quick fine tuning i had the thing laying clear down like a mirror.. and in half the time! I could not believe how this thing sprays. I used to use an iwata for clear.. i may as well run that thing over.

Moral of the story.. if u have the means to spend 600+ on a paint gun.. i suggest you get one of these!
SATA makes great guns. I used an RP Digital for quite a while. Part of the difference you might be experiencing is that the SATA RP is compliant, while the Iwata LPH400 is an HVLP gun. For an apples to apples comparison, one might pit the W400LV against the SATA RP. The W400LV is what I use right now. For tough metallics and blends, the LVB air cap designed for the LPH400 works perfectly on the W400LV. It's the best of both worlds for me, with performance the meets or exceeds the RP with a basecoat air cap that pretty much makes it two guns in one, for a total outlay of less than $500.

If you haven't already, try the LVB air cap on your LPH400. I think you will be surprised at the results, and may decide to make the LVB your dedicated basecoat gun.

·
Problem Child,Hard Case
1,773 Posts
Glad you like it BW.
Different guns for different folks. :thumbup:
I have yet to see much on the 3K from Sata and was wondering about how it sprayed.
Kinda curious about how much build you got with that little clear though. ??
Less than a pt and you covered ALL that with it.
:confused:

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I dont have any way of seeing the mil-age of the clear but all 3 coats were layed slick as can be.

Bee4Me said:
Glad you like it BW.
Different guns for different folks. :thumbup:
I have yet to see much on the 3K from Sata and was wondering about how it sprayed.
Kinda curious about how much build you got with that little clear though. ??
Less than a pt and you covered ALL that with it.
:confused:

·
KING OF BONDO
809 Posts
B, glad you like your new toy, and thanks for sharing with everyone... As already stated, different guns, different folks, I dont like allot of different guns, but that does not mean someone else wont love one that I hate and lay down slick paint jobs with it... If there was only one gun out there, we would all learn to paint with it and do well.. The Iwata LPH 400 is a change for most.. I have the W400 copy and man I loved the way that thing layed clear, but it also waste more material.. The LPH with the LVB air cap is the bomb.. Just painted a silver 69 Camero with that cap and it makes laying that base a breeze... Anyways, blah blah blah, glad you are happy with your investment bro..

3,214 Posts
I haven't used a RP, but did try a NR2000 a year or so ago. I loved the way it shot, but had alot of overspray. It also used alot more air than my compressor could stand for regular use. I recently got a W-400 and have had good results with that , using the newer cap and nozzle. Still trying to get used to something better than the cheap knock-offs. Several guys that I know swear by their Satas and others swear that nothing is better than their Iwata. Everyone has something different that they look for, so to each their own. The main thing is to get what you like.

Aaron

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
I have an RP 1.4 and an LPH with an LVB base cap.
Both of these guns are the top of the line and excellent guns.
I was given a RP3000 to try and sprayed two jobs with that gun the gun is a 100% improvement over the RP that I have and does an excellent job with base and clear with the 1.4 tip.

I think where some people may be missing some important points here is, everyone sprays different and no one gun will fit all painters for the type of work they do, so use what fits your style of painting.
Next point missed and perhaps the most important, no matter how good of a painter you are with that $100 or less gun one of the above guns when you get the money will make your jobs look better and make it easier on you to achieve the same effect be it spraying the job or wet-sanding and buffing.

Hands down, the three above guns are far Superior to any other guns out there with the exception of the FX97 (but hard to find), so buy one of the above and be ahead of the game.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Anyone used a Iwata W/400?? I bought one and havn't used it yet... Someone somewhere said it used a little more material than the LPH-400 but layed clear better... Any thoughts??

·
Registered
233 Posts
Confused?........Boy Howdy!!!! :confused: .I love the way we get all the info on different spray guns. I have a collection now. I'm no expert and my shop doesn't reflect that I ever will be, but darn it, I get confused on the way to trying to put together the hobbyist paint job on a low budget.

I guess it's because I don't really know what I'm doing, after about a dozen vehicles and a few local car show awards (please don't misunderstand me...I really feel this way cause I just can't get it right and once in a while I get lucky)......I just don't have any idea where I'm at with all of this :rolleyes: .

:)

·
Registered
62 Posts
The Sata nr 3000 is an incredible gun, the rp really doesnt do anything more and waste's paint while using more air, it does spray nice and it it is built like all sata's, to last for years. Iwata is nice if you dont use it every day or like to buy a new gun every year. I have 2 nr95 that are 10 years old and still get used every day, lets see an Iwata do that.

Fitzter
www.autorefinishers.com

1 - 20 of 53 Posts