Hot Rod Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Did you break in the pads?

Light stop from like 50 to 20 5 or so times cooling for 10 seconds between stops and never fully stopping. Then 5 hard stops from 70 to 30 cooling 10 seconds between stops never fully stopping then driving for 10 minutes without using the brakes even if you need to put the thing into netural at a light. Then your good for normal driving.

Every pad is diffrent(its on the box) the above is a basic brake warm up thing.

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,086 Posts
Ok, guys... I surely hate to even say this, but my Jag IRS rear brakes just started making that familiar grinding sound. Uh OHHHH.. So I just pulled the removable panel in the trunk and guess what... ONE of the F'ING pads has ground into the disc. ... deductive reasoning tells me the following: The rear brakes have been doing all the work, AND, one of the calipers probably has a stuck piston, since I can see that it appears to have very little wear on the inboard pad, and the other disk and from what I can see, (can't see the outboard pads from the top), the inboard pad also looks like it's still quite thick.. Hell, I have been stopping on just one pad all this time, on the rear????.... ain't no way a pad goes out in 4,000 miles unless it's doing all the work... holy CRAP.. and those that are familiar with JAG IRS inboard brakes, the only way to replace or even work on the brakes is to drop the entire rear end, out of the car, and then take it apart. Pray for me...........I'm not going to worry about the front brakes for now.. I'll be "down" for a few days on this issue... and a LOT of money....Thanks, everybody..
Damn. I just finished reading your blog about your Jag rear a couple days ago.
You have my sympathies as it looks like a terrible project.

·
1949 Ford Coupe RESURRECTION
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Thanks, Pugsy.... for your thoughts/feelings ...Pulled the 255/15's off.. had to drop the shocks off mounts to get them out.. discs and rebuild kits for calipers arriving Friday, tomorrow...

21 - 24 of 24 Posts