Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently moved my shop into a building that formerly housed a machine shop and marine fabricator. The previous owner left some really nice stock that I've been tempted to try and use. It appears to be thick wall (sched 80?) stainless pipe. 1". It's the kind of material used to fabricate rails, ladders and towers on saltwater boats. It seems pretty tough. Questions: can it be welded? (what kind of wire and gas) where can I find tensile strength and other specifications for this and similar materials? What would be a way to test this stock to be sure of it's properties before I use it for something critical or where safety may be a concern? I found some records of the previous business and am searching them for material invoices in hopes of identifying this stock. I hate tossing anything that I could use in the future!

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
9,581 Posts
Stainless

that pipe I think would be either type 304 or type 307 stainless..in any case yes you can weld it with the proper wire..not sure what one would use it for on a car other than maybe a custom grille..or some kind of a nerf bar something like that..

If it is a critical app I do prefer to use material from a known source...

That would be my best guess..

OMT

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
9,581 Posts
Wire

Welding stainless does require stainless wire..Might look into that..

And if you have not welded stainless before it does take a bit of practice..

OMT

·
Registered
495 Posts
I think it's tri-gas that is spec'ed for stainless not sure, I have welded it using argon and a 110 mig the only thing the argon does is discolor the part a bit but it can be buffed out. I have never used stainless for more than a table or as said decorative part on a bike though.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I guess it's gonna be practice, practice, practice. I have a bottle of Argon on now, tri-mix is available easily too. I'll keep trying and see how I make out. There is no sense of urgency on my part.

Thanks Guys!

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
9,581 Posts
Yup

yup..it is about getting your metal absolutely clean..getting the joints fitted up very well..grinding in a bit of a V to insure penetration..tinkering with heat..

I set aside grinding wheels and cutters just for stainless so i do not get contamination into the weld..That comes from grinding mild steel and then using the same wheel on stainless..

It can be done just keep after it..:)

OMT

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.