Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I want to use a 2005 Dodge 1/2 ton frame I found. To update to the newer type of frame, brakes and front end.. But the motor and trans I have is a older style 1977 318 LA and matching Auto trans ( everything is rebuilt). Will I have a problem trying to mount the older motor in the frame? I see that the trans mount looks like I can move it easy forward or back on the frame. And the motor mounts ( newer Hemi motor ) look total different then what I current have. Any info would help on what to do. Thanks

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Dodge truck frame was a 2005 and had a new style Hemi motor in it and auto trans if that helps. I hope my old 318LA motor and trans will fit. Can the newer style trans bolt up to a older 318LA Motor ?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So you are saying that a newer style 4 speed automatic is it called A41 trans ?
Is that the best one to use? Does it have the same gears, but a 30% reduction on the 4 gear on RPM ? thanks

·
Gotta love a turbo!
2,689 Posts
Dodge electronics are a nightmare. I'd steer clear of that '05 trans...

Russ

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Has any one every used this newer 4 speed auto trans to replace 727 by mopar for a 318-360 CI with a motor that has 400- 450 H.P. ?

·
Registered
437 Posts
Has any one every used this newer 4 speed auto trans to replace 727 by mopar for a 318-360 CI with a motor that has 400- 450 H.P. ?
I don't think anybody makes a stand alone controller for the Mopar trans like you find for Chevy 4l60/4l80's.. Like said most times a 518rh or 500rh is used to stay away from the electronically controlled transmissions.

You have quite an unusual project you're undertaking. To put the older body on the new frame you're going to run into quite a bit of it doesn't just bolt together without some modifications/fabrication like the motor mounts.

4-450hp is a pretty tall number for a 318 if that's what you're referring to.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Most "newer" dodge transmissions including the 46re(maybe rh)which I believe you have are heavily controlled by the engine pcm. The pcm reads information such as throttle position, rpm, and several other factors to control that transmission.

Frankly I would look at running a 727 if thats what you currently have to get things moving. If you feel you need overdrive upgrading to a 4l80e can handle a good amount of power while being easy to fully control. Plan on around $1200 to bolt up a 4l80e behind that 318 then another $500 for a controller. Plus the cost of the transmission itself.
Which is why if you have the 727 already and are running something like a 91 body I would run that and just be happy going 60ish most of the time.

What body were you planning on running on top of the newer frame?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok everyone, here is my problem... I am trying to put a 1942 dodge cab and front fenders on a newer frame. The frame that came with it will not work because the trans hits the floor even with cab raised up 4 inches off the frame. This 2005 dodge 1/2 on frame rails are 7-7-1/4 inch thick and the trans mount is flat or I can lower the mount if I need too. ( current 318, 727 trans or a 400 BB) . Unless someone knows a better updated frame to use. Plus the 2005 frame has updated front end and rear end... Any help.... thanks in advance..

·
Registered
437 Posts
Ok everyone, here is my problem... I am trying to put a 1942 dodge cab and front fenders on a newer frame. The frame that came with it will not work because the trans hits the floor even with cab raised up 4 inches off the frame. This 2005 dodge 1/2 on frame rails are 7-7-1/4 inch thick and the trans mount is flat or I can lower the mount if I need too. ( current 318, 727 trans or a 400 BB) . Unless someone knows a better updated frame to use. Plus the 2005 frame has updated front end and rear end... Any help.... thanks in advance..
Have you measured the track widths on the new stuff compared to the old? Just curious.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yes I have, the frame is only ( 1-1/2 inch wider then what I have the cab now ) and the frame bumps out before area that would be the firewall for the 1942 Cab. The front part of the cab will fit the frame. The cab is wider in the back compared to the front. And the 2005 frame goes straight back all the way to the rear bumper too.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Neat how that kit controls the rh. Simple pressure switches and even some adjustment.

Thing is this is a 96 and "I believe" all 96 had the re. I do not think there is any way to standalone control a re.
I have seen "kits" that make the standalone claim. But they run around 2k and require "a laptop to adjust shift points". Thing about "kits" is that when they fail in 5 or so years your usually beyond screwed as the company and a majority of replacment parts have disappeared. Even when the company is still around they may no longer "support" your system and want you to buy a complete newer $2000 system.

Mega/micro squirt may be an " lower cost" option. But then your adding things to that LA to get the inputs needed. That being said the megasquirt is a good system and company that does support older systems. Still if your adding those sensors your only about a handfull of wiring from running a 96 engine and 96 transmission gaining fuel injection and drivability over the LA.

There is a transmission code on I think the hood. The rh also only has 3 or 4 wires where the re has around 8 off the top of my head.

On the cheap I would just use the 727 behind the LA 318. Get the swap done and things moving. Your going to have enough headaches doing the conversion look for a rh (and shorten driveshaft) later.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Neat how that kit controls the rh. Simple pressure switches and even some adjustment.
It's a pretty common way to do it. The little pieces can sourced a little cheaper but tossed it up as an example. Guys have been doing it long before that place put up a kit.

I looked for that re to rh conversion I mentioned. I couldn't find anything. Maybe like you said happened. Discontinued or not enough market. Or like in some cases didn't quite work as advertised and disappeared. It was fairly complex.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts