Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do I need to blast or sand off all the old paint? What would be the impact if I only partially sanded and primed? Can I kill the micro rust dots without completely removing everything? I have a "shake and spray primer"(it can be returned); will it be adequate under a 2K or 1K paint?
Current conditions of car and body parts:
> car is on jacks; fiberglass and weld repairs completed.
> body parts are removed
> The underside and engine are cleaned and painted.
> windows are removed; little rust repair is needed.
> 25 years since last painting
> old paint is mostly good; some micro size rust dots scattered throughout.
> seams were rusty; wire wheeled to bare.
> Worse part: The Grill, hood, fenders have many small rust pits from road blast and beach travels.
> a few small dents need work
> camper shell is next (not now).

I plan to make a homemade booth.
Advise? Please estimate quality versus scope options. :confused:
Bronco Image set (See album)

Attachments

·
Grand Prix user
5,407 Posts
Welcome aboard. All the talk about micro dots gives me flashbacks, lol. Seriously, if the old paint does not wipe off with thinner and featheredges nicely with 180 on a DA, and the buildup is not excessive, I call that a stable existing finish that could be painted over if looking to avoid the expense and labor of stripping. Enjoy the project and post future technical posts in the appropriate forum, this ones just for intros.

·
Administrator
9,902 Posts
Moving to body & exterior forum.

Welcome to Hotrodders.

Please ask your tech questions in the proper forum. Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1) I don't know how to list under a specific topic. Advice?
2) How about this aspect:
I have a "shake and spray primer"(it can be returned); will it be adequate under a 2K or 1K paint?
SLS

·
Grand Prix user
5,407 Posts
1) I don't know how to list under a specific topic. Advice?
2) How about this aspect:
I have a "shake and spray primer"(it can be returned); will it be adequate under a 2K or 1K paint?
SLS
The way I do it is navigate to the correct section then click start new. Crosley got you fixed up though.

Uncatalyzed primer is a no-no, I think you would be disappointed with the results. Just my opinion and I'm anti-lacquer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts