Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
in the top airhorn assembly of the old AFB double float carbs theres two brass jets or rods and seem to be spring loaded if you pull on them they spring back up into the air horn assembly

the ends appear to be solid and so not hollow and there seems to be some outside wear on the ends of them

so they are rods?

or are they actually supposed to be jets?

i am used to Q jet carbs that have actual jets like this in the airhorn assembly

this is the first time ive seen or touched an old AFB

very interesting with double float setup wow

yet single internal plunger accelerator pump like a q jet has

do you think napa might have a new accel pump for this?

carter 9635

thanks

·
Registered
534 Posts
I think those are called metering rods, at full vac they go down into jets and lean the mixture out and at WOT they come out of jet and richen it up. They need to work up and down freely.

fast68 said:
in the top airhorn assembly of the old AFB double float carbs theres two brass jets or rods and seem to be spring loaded if you pull on them they spring back up into the air horn assembly

the ends appear to be solid and so not hollow and there seems to be some outside wear on the ends of them

so they are rods?

or are they actually supposed to be jets?

i am used to Q jet carbs that have actual jets like this in the airhorn assembly

this is the first time ive seen or touched an old AFB

very interesting with double float setup wow

yet single internal plunger accelerator pump like a q jet has

do you think napa might have a new accel pump for this?

carter 9635

thanks

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
You need this!

Try some of your local book stores for this or order online from:me-books If you have been reading the posts here on a regular basis there are a lot of guys that have problems tuning an AFB/Edelbrock Performer,you can also download the Edelbrock tuning guide off their website.

Attachments

·
Registered
17,613 Posts

·
Banned
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok thanks guys

so they are just rods

thats the best outcome here

other than if i can find a good or new accelerator pump for it

so i can see if the carb works good or not.

thanks

·
Member# 3287
2,625 Posts
Those carbs are almost foolproof. Not like a Q-jet with a bzillion moving parts and do not leak all over like a Holley.

When you buy a rebuild kit make sure it comes with the accelerator pump. Some don't.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.