Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i inherited from my daughter a working old curtis 5 hp 2 stage compressor. i moved it onto my trailer from her house to mine. unloading it the ramp on trailer released flopping the unit on its side shattering the cast iron flywheel pulley. it is BEEFY 1.25" shaft 1/4 inch keyway a good 3" deep. does anyone know of a place to find a used one? our local compressor shop searched and they were unable to find one.
is it worth fixing?
are Harbor freught or Northern tool pumps any good?
any help is appriciated
i have a stock 54 150 2dr.
and a 51 GMC m2 coil rear warm 35 tremec 5 speed.

Attachments

· Registered
1,131 Posts
That old Curtis will out live a Northern or Harbor Freight unit Big Time. If you fix the Curtis, change the oil and put in a full synthetic 5W-30 or 10W-30 motor oil. I use the Walmart brand with no problems. The original book will say SAE 30 Non Detergent. The problem with ND is it foams up really bad and gets thick as mud when cold. Both traits are not good for proper lubrication. Clean or replace intake air filter also. Pulleys. Get numbers off compressor pump itself and off busted pulley and start internet searching. Prices will vary from reasonable to outrageous. Try calling these guys:

Also check this out:

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i talked with Ray in Product Support in St Louis. he knew right away my pump was built for the militairy from 1941 to 1945. he cross referenced a newer model will not fit. he did suggest i find a place like Farm and Fleet t and just source a 16" pulley with 1.25 bore. it wont supply "cooling air" so point a fan at it when you are working it hard.
that sheetmetal pulley from china is in my possesion. however i will continue my search for a "spoled cast pulley

· Registered
1,131 Posts
what is THIS i ? may? be able to remove the broken part comong ouy of the "t" i would assume a pressure relief safety? probably wrong though.
Pressure relief valve. Click below:

Check below for a pulley:

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Pressure relief valve. Click below:

Check below for a pulley:

the pressure relief valve like the one you linked is at the tank by the pressure switch. however thank you for the link to JatDee enterprises. i will call them today.

· Gotta love a turbo!
2,787 Posts
On that "fanless" pulley, it wouldn't be overly difficult to fab some sheetmetal blades and screw or rivet them on the spokes.

Russ

1 - 12 of 12 Posts