Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some info from experienced old ford buffs. I have a 35 two door sedan. The entire roof is open as whatever once was there went to the great beyond. Looks like some type of rubber material might have been there at some time. What was this called and is there any to be had nowdays? Also, my interior is bare. What kind of headliners did these cars have. Were they held up by the wire inserts like most cars or what system was used. I might just fill in the hole in the roof with sheet metal, but first, thought I would check to see what other possiblities were around.

·
Registered
137 Posts
BEETLE
BEING ALMOST AS OLD AS YOUR 35 AND OWNING A 26 FORD 3 WINDOW COUPE MYSELF I'LL TELL YOU WHAT I KNOW.

#1 THE ROOF MATERIAL ORIG. WAS OF A CLOTH TYPE, AND THE REASON THAT THE ROFF WASN'T ALL METAL WAS THAT BACK THEN THEY DIDN'T HAVE DIE PUNCHES LARGE ENOUGH TO PUNCH OUT A WHOLE ROOF, HENCE THE CLOTH CENTER. WHAT THEY USED WERE THESE METAL STRIPS TO HOLD THE HEADLINER IN PLACE.

#2 THERE IS A SPECIFIC BONE YARD ROOF THAT YOU CAN GET THAT HAS THE SAME EXACT CONTOUR AND SHAPE AS WHAT IS MISSING ON YOUR 35. WHAT YOU DO IS CUT THE WHOLE ROOF OFF THE DONAR CAR AND AFTER MEASUREING VERY CARFULLY YOU CUT THE DONAR ROOF TO FIT THE OPENING IN YOUR 35. A GOOD WELDING JOB, SOME GOOD BODY WORK AND THERE YOU HAVE A ROOF THAT LOOKS LIKE IT CAME THAT WAY

HOPE THIS HELPS

BOMO

·
Hot Rods are Built, not Bought
803 Posts
Oh, man, not a 36! You kids and your newfangled cars. A '26 Ford, now that was a car! They haven't built a good one since 1931.
;) :) :( :rolleyes: :cool:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts