Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had a bit of an ice storm yesterday, meaning a free day off. So we decided to clean some closets out. Found two boxes of magazines I'd forgotten about.
Started sorting throug them and some Hot Rod's, and Hot Rodding go back to the mid 1970's.
Very interesting reading in some of those oldies.

How often does anyone leaf through their old ones?
Any point in trying to sell them at swap meets, 4 for a dollar or something? Hate to just pitch them.

·
Administrator
18,402 Posts
A few years ago, I sold all my early ones (50s-70s).......made good money on them.

The late 70s, 80s and 90s didnt sell so good. That was 10 years ago.......they may go better now.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
I got Hot Rod, CHP,PopHotRodding, Car Craft and Super Stock Illustrated going back to 1991.
Plus some old issues of hot Rod bought off EBay.
Never read ´em, can´t part with ´em.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
The value of old magazines fluctuates year to year. I sold alot of dulplicates on eBay a couple years ago but probably bought as many as I sold.

I have a set of Hot Rod mags from 1948-58. Except for the first six issues which are reprints done about 10-15 years ago they are all original. I also have many many Rod & Custom, Custom Craft, and other "little" books, plus a nice selection of one-shots (Engines, Tuning, quarterlies, transmissions, chassis, and so on).

Every now and then I drag a box or two out and read 'em through like they were new. So much information, so little time.

Some time back I brought 2 big boxes of old mags, 80s-90s, to a local hospital and distributed them amongst the various waiting room areas throughout the building. Why? Because men have nothing to read while waiting for good news or bad news but women's magazines and children's magazines. Had many guys thank me as I made the rounds dropping a few here and a few there. DO NOT throw them away, give a little diversion to a group that needs it. Another alternative would be your local VA hospital.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Running out of people to share my read Mags, Custom Rodder, Street Rodder, Automobile, Road and Track, Etc.

All current, no real classic ones, but if anyone knows a shut in, or a youngn' that could use them, drop an address here and I mail them out...MAC

Side note: did run across a foot thick pile of Look, and Post dated in the sixtys...carefully cut out all ads on cars, and car related stuff, filed by make, and carried to Carlisle Car Show..

sold them to a vendor for $85

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought about putting mine in the garage near where I sit and take a break from wrenching, thought I might leaf through them again if I had them close.
There really is some neat stuff in them. One I saw had a cover story about building Muscle Clones, this was in the 80's. Now that's the hottest thing going. It's also neat to spot trends, like Pro Street and such when they first started.

A couple of 70's issues were really funny with the wild modifieds, graphics, clothes and hair styles. Course I'd settle for just having hair now.

I have to wonder, would High School auto shops be interested in them? I know I'd have loved having old Car mag issues when I was there.
The Swim Suit issues I may have to keep though.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Maybe the local library would take them.
Me being in Spain, no one here would want them, or even grasp what hot rodding is about.

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
I've been trying to sell at swap meets or even give away my 21 year 100% complete set of Street Rodder magazines for about 2 years. I have yet to sell a single years worth - at $10/year. I've tried to give them to the local BOCES (Vocational Training high schools) they don't want them either. The libraries don't have room for them, The idea about a VA hospital is a new idea to me and there is one about 20 miles away.

I thought I had given them to a guy in Georgia until I told him it would cost him over $115 just to ship 220 pounds worth of mags - yes, that's right, 220 pounds - and haven't heard from him since. I have talked with swap meet publication vendors - they might be worth $1 to $2 each if you want to cart them around forever and hope.

If the VA doesn't want them, or I can't sell them at York in June, into the dumpster they go - I gotta lighten my 'personal treasures' load so we can move to a warmer locale in about 18 months (oops - global warming - I forgot! We wont have to move :spank: :spank: )

Dave

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
home brew said:
If all else fails try the school libraries. The high school kids may enjoy reading (looking at the pics) them or the younger grade school kids can cut out the pics for collages.
Tried that - unfortunately I live in fairly affluent area(moved here long before the yuppies and Gen x'ers found it) and old 'crap' like the wrong color refig is just thrown out.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Ireland, I would be interested in some of those Street Rodders. In particular the ones pretaining to the Total Performance T bucket build. I'd be willing to pay $3.00 each and of course shipping. I'm not sure which issues the articles appear in but I believe the main title was Cyber T and Cyber T Returns. I think the articles were spread over a year and a half and about 7 or 8 issues. If you have them, PM me. I'm sure we can work out a selling price and I can get the UPS info from my job as we have the shippng software. Let me know what you think.

·
Lost in the 60's
15,259 Posts
I have taken magazines about two dozen at a time to the barbershop with me when I go to get a haircut...I just walk in and place them on his magazine table with all the others.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I have a buch of hotrod,car craft,streetrodder mags form the 70s up that I need to do something with,I would hate to see my house go up in flames as all the magazines and other paper stuff all over would help the fire a bunch. Jeff

·
Registered
13 Posts
home brew said:
I was just talking to the publisher of Big Buck magazine. He sent a bunch of old issues to our troops in Afghanistan. Apparently the armed forces took them over on one of their flights.
Thanks, 'Brew' - a great suggestion. I have several years worth of Classic Boating - a very nice publication, and, as I am no longer involved in the 'old boat' hobby, the troops may enjoy them.

Sid

·
Registered
187 Posts
Sidn said:
Thanks, 'Brew' - a great suggestion. I have several years worth of Classic Boating - a very nice publication, and, as I am no longer involved in the 'old boat' hobby, the troops may enjoy them.

Sid
As a veteran who spent a lot of time out at sea, trust me, ANYTHING that reminds you of home and what you're fighting for is a VERY good thing. I'm not sure what it cost to send stuff to a random unit in Iraq or the Gulf, but I'm sure your local American Red Cross could set you up with a place that would probably ship them for you. Whether you have to pay or not, it would be worth it.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Break from Brasil! Wait guys! Save a few pounds for me.I can not stand reading the new stuff.I live and breath on the old ones.Let's see,if I pay $1 each plus freight to a friend in NJ or FL.From there I will find a way to bring them down here.Especially 60s and 70s but also 80s. Thanks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Old magazines

tfeverfred: I'll be contacting the various service clubs/organizations, and the magazines will be on their way.

As well as the Red Cross, (excellent organization), I've been told tha the Legions will also ensure the material gets to the Troops.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts