Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To do our not to do?I,m building a 68 firebird with a two speed pwr glide.Im going to drive this car fromtime to time and sometimes eight mile drags,nohing special just for fun.Do I build the stock trans or go wiyh a turbo 350/400.I like the idea of orginal as much as possible.
Thanks

·
Glad To Be Here
2,240 Posts
David Goetz said:
To do our not to do?I,m building a 68 firebird with a two speed pwr glide.Im going to drive this car fromtime to time and sometimes eight mile drags,nohing special just for fun.Do I build the stock trans or go wiyh a turbo 350/400.I like the idea of orginal as much as possible.
Thanks
Since you have the Powerglide trans you might wan't to continue to use it. If built correctly it will handle much more Horsepower and torque than the TH350 or the TH400.

Either of the other trans that you mention would also work for the type/style of driving you mention though. Both will require some alteration to the trans crossmember and the driveshaft length to be installed due to the length difference from the Powerglide.

·
Administrator
18,402 Posts
I believe that the 68 aluminum Powerglide is the same length and output spline as the T350. The earlier, pre 63 Powerglides were shorter and were cast iron.

BTW, cars don't go to school..............

·
Administrator
9,768 Posts
one item about the Pontiac with a 2 speed.... it is not a power glide. It is a super turbine 300....... 2 speed trans.

Similar to a power glide , yet many different parts .

·
Registered
685 Posts
Old school or new

We just converted a 68 olds from ST 300 to a TH350.

Very little fabrication,no change in driveshaft lenth,sweet change over.

And the customer likes the 350 much more than the 2 speed.

·
Administrator
9,768 Posts
briscoe said:
We just converted a 68 olds from ST 300 to a TH350.

Very little fabrication,no change in driveshaft lenth,sweet change over.

And the customer likes the 350 much more than the 2 speed.

what modifications were performed on the shifter linkage?

Column shift or floor?

:cool:

·
Registered
685 Posts
old school or new

We installed a B&M floor shifter. We wired it for neutral safety switch and back up lights.

The installation took about 3-4 hours.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts