Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Im James 47 Years Old. I Have Had Every Thing From S/b Chevys To Hemi's, But This Is The First Ford I Have Realy Had. I Always Wanted A T Bucket So I Traded For One Last Year That Had A 289 In It. I Wanted It Becouse It Was All Ford. It Has A 289 Std Bore Sdt Crank Hy-po Engine, C4 Trany 8 Inch Rear With 280 Gears. I Am Having Problems With A Big Flat Spot With Light Exceleration And Idling In Gear. I Fixed The Idling In Gear Problem With A 2500 Stall Converter. The Engine Has A Big Cam , The Heads Have Bigger Valves Ported And Polished Etc. I Am Trying To Run A Tunnel Ram With 2 Fours. When Crusing At Any Speed When I Give It Gas It Stumbles Realy Bad. Until It Reaches About 1300 Rpm's Then It Will Take All You Can Give It. Its Really Bad When You Are Just Crusing , Going Up Hill Or Just Trying To Maintain Speed. It Acts Like Bad Excelarator Pumps Or Timing Advance. I Have Changed Distributors, Changed Caburators From Holly 600's To 450's With No Change To The Problem. When Crusing At 65 Mph It Only Runs About 1700 Rpm's. Could It Be The Tunnel Ram Just Needs More Rpms To Flow Properly.becouse When You Run In 2nd Gear It Just Works Better. I Really Like The Tunnel Ram An Two Fours For The Looks. Do I Just Need To Go To A Lower Gear. Thanks James

·
Administrator
18,402 Posts
Welcome James....Best to ask in the engine forum....

Just off the top of my head, I would tend to agree that the 2x4 with tunnel ram is your problem....especially with highway gears.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts