Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Quality Fabrication Tools
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever work with an old timer that would play pranks on you?

Mine is my friends Dad in Minnesota. When I was 12 and 13 years old, we always rode dirt bikes and snowmobiles at his house. When we would be in his shop working with his dad, he was always shocking or burning me with things. Puting grease on everything. I think I fell for just about every trick he pulled. I hated him for it, but now its kinda funny looking back on it.

·
when will it rain???
1,295 Posts
BAILEIGH said:
Ever work with an old timer that would play pranks on you?

Mine is my friends Dad in Minnesota. When I was 12 and 13 years old, we always rode dirt bikes and snowmobiles at his house. When we would be in his shop working with his dad, he was always shocking or burning me with things. Puting grease on everything. I think I fell for just about every trick he pulled. I hated him for it, but now its kinda funny looking back on it.
how about tossing someone a charged capacitor from an old points style ignition system? talk about getting a charge out of the situation... lol!

·
Registered
281 Posts
my sons favourite trick is to get a rubber glove and tape it to the exhaust of a vehicle that is sitting parked.Funny as a play when someone we know takes off to a huge bang.Another 1 he does is make a mock personalised plate out of cardboard. His favourite plate is ****
Our courier driver drove round all day with it on, he gave my son heaps when he realised.

One i have heard but dont know if its true is you fill the light bulb socket with acetylene and seal with plastercine or similar.When the owner turns light switch on, bang.Blows lights out!!

russ
later gator :cool: :cool:

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,460 Posts
I cut the top off a car battery once to remove all the lead. I then glued the top back on and had a two pound "battery". I would walk across the shop carrying it acting like it weighed the 30 or 40 pounds a normal battery weighs and then "trip" tossing it at someone. Wow did they do some funny dances. :)

Brian

·
Premium Member
6,623 Posts
I have an exhaust whistle here somewhere, loved to put that on the gas powered welding rigs when the welders would leave in the AM for an offsite job.

Weeeeee! :D

When I was painter a tape ball on the driveshaft was good for a laugh...1" tape lettering on the passenger side of the car stating proudly "Gay and Proud!" was another good one. NeverSeize on the head band of a hard hat was a favorite as well.

This one is not mine but I should mention it, a buddy worked in a steel mill and they got the attention of the new foreman while someone took a well greased styrofoam cup complete with toilet paper streamer and stuck it to the top of his hardhat...with the extreme airflow of the typical mill environment the streamer stood straight up making cool curls and spirals in the breeze.

Whenever I need a laugh I think of the foreman yelling at someone over the noise of the carbon electrodes melting steel in full "maiden" regalia...definetly priceless. :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
11,051 Posts
One we use to do to the new tacker's at the shipyard was, We would pump them up about bending Lh welding rods behind their neck.. We would tell them our buddy has the record of bending about 15 rods,, It had to be LH rods.. They would get all pumped up and say ******* I can bend more then that !!!! :mwink: OK then let's see you break the record.. :mwink: They would shoot for about 20 rods,, Now you have to grab each end with one of your hands, Then put them behind your neck,, A hand by each side of your head,, Now pull both hands forward,, Well if you don't know what happen's when you bend Lh rods,, I guess I'll tell you,, All the flux will fall down the back of your shirt.. :pain: :smash: :spank: :boxing: the more you get them to bend, the more flux they will get.... Get's them every time.. :D :D

·
Get in, sit down, hang on
2,785 Posts
We used to shove potatoes into tailpipes. If the exhaust system is well-sealed the engine won't start. If it isn't well-sealed, it sure makes a whistle. Heck of a potato gun sometimes, too!

Dirty old tricks:
On the old point-type distributor caps, we used to wet a cigarette filter and stick in in the cap between the coil wire. As long as the filter is wet, the car will run. It usually results in a head-scratcher ... so we never pulled it on someone who knew NOTHING about cars.

Also used to run a little speaker wire from one cylinder on those caps through the firewall, under the floor mat, and up into the bottom of the seat. Splay that wire out so that it covered a 3-4" section of the seat. The guy cranks the engine and gets a little jolt (usually his finger on the ignition key at first, and then a tingle in the butt when he jumps off the key. (I wouldn't want to try this with HEI systems.)

As a "junior partsman" (30 yrs ago) at a Ford garage, I was intitiated by the technicians. One of them came to the counter, and wanted me to come out and look at something under the hood. I was a little suspicious when a group of them formed around behind me. The next thing I knew I was dangling from the engine crane by my belt loops with hands and feet flailing. Sang soprano for a while after that. :mwink:

Also had vaseline applied to the phone reciever once by that same crew.
"Crew" being a euphamism, LOL. Actually were a great bunch of guys to work with. A lot of them would stick around on "shop night", and were very quick to lend a hand, a tool, or both. Much work was paid for with liquid refreshments or favors in kind.

And yup, more than one "loaded" condensor was tossed my way, too. Never fell for that one though ... had heard all about it by 1979.

Cripes, could you imagine trying to pull stuff like that these days?
People would sue your hiney off.

·
Revolution Calling
916 Posts
Had a guy in the weld shop who liked to soak a rag in solvent and toss it at your feet while you were behind the hood buzzing parts together....

One day he got the ol' "giant zip tie around the drive shaft" trick. :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.