Auto part Gas Metal Engineering Composite material

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system Font

Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Engineering Motor vehicle Gas

Cabinetry Circuit component Drawer Electrical wiring Gas

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Rim

Shoe Automotive tire Audio equipment Automotive wheel system Engineering

Wood Gas Tints and shades Auto part Bumper

Eye Human body Gas Fixture Close-up

So I dug these out off the shelf to possibly put on the 350 in my wagon since my 406 has taken a different turn and I’ve had thoughts of having these freshened I believe these to be phase 2 bow tie angle plug heads when I got them 15+ years ago I was told they were ported by Brzeneski which is very possible since his shop is less than an hour from my location. Existing 350 good 4 bolt line honed and decked flat top engine with world products Sr torquers and mild .480 hydraulic flat tappet. I have a comp.510/.520 hydro roller with 1.6 rockers that I’d like to install in 350 but SR heads would need guide plates(machined) and pushrod holes and valve guides cut down to make work and only are 170cc
Option 2 is pressure test clean and check bow ties probably New valves and valve job. Both heads will need new springs so that’s a wash. I have 1.6 pro magnums for 3/8 stud and crane golds for 7/16 studs so that’s covered. I know there are way better heads out there but 1500+ isn’t in the budget and I have a older set of Brodix in the basement for the 406 build. Car is a 57 210 wagon/3700lbs ran a 14.26 97mph with ****ty tuned carb. Since then went from stocker 3.55 rear to 4.10 quick performance 9” and has 700r4 with BM 2400or 2600 stall. Intake is a RPM air gap but I have other options if need be. Any thoughts or opinions are welcome. Just trying to get on road this year to enjoy, Sat all year last year cause of health/recovery issues. Cars plan is double duty street/track car.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
15,301 Posts
They are what you sight then as Phase II Bow Tie head’s. They were very meant for competition engines and were a decent head in their days. Nice thing they aren’t thin wall castings so they are pretty robust.

Bogie

·
More for Less Racer
20,931 Posts
If you're sure the castings are good, and figure they need new valveguides and a valve job, along with surfacing.....here is a nice way to go....
Switch to the LS engines 8mm valve stem size while at the same time gaining lighter stainless valve, lighter spring retainer, and a beehive spring set-up....and use a head kit from Competition Products.
This one will get 2.055" intake valves at the same time. Win-Win.
Head Improvement Kit, Chev SB, 8mm Conversion, 2.055/1.60 +.100" - Competition Products

Depending on what machine work costs in your area, you could freshen them up for maybe $850 total? Under $1k for sure.
If you have to really squeeze the budget, they have a standard 11/32" valvestem size kit another $90 cheaper....

Competition Products is great to deal with.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you so far for responses. These heads were heavily ported by Brzezinski and kinda the only reason I thought about using them. If they were stock I’d pass. What’s going rate for pressure test and clean heads in your areas just curious. I will check on the LS valve conversion idea. I did something similar on some SB 340 X heads about 30 years ago if I remember with thinner stems.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts