Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My good friend and salvage yard owner has been closed down by the state of Utah as of March 1, 2007. This is due to an over zealous business owner and land developer in the SLC, UT. area. He pushed trough the courts of Tooele County Utah, a motion to close the yard 4 months early and the state put a seal against having an auction to help liquidate the yard. Quote from the state, " we will not allow an auction, because we do not need anymore derelict cars on the roadways, that are not up to standard safety regulations of todays automobiles on the road". This is the first motion of the state to stamp out our old rides. Because they do not meet, according to the state of Utah, todays safety standards of a new auto from the OEM manufactures.
This is a blow to all of us. Not only is it the beginning of what has been a long road by the auto industry, but with the help of the oil industry as well. To rid the roads of any automobile or truck that is more then ten years old.
No airbags, ABS braking systems, safety glass, seat belts, auto-lighting systems, warning systems, 5-mile per hour safety bumpers, and on and on and on......good things being fed to the shredder. :pain:

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
What's next in Utah? Will they outlaw houses that are not built to the standards of today? Perhaps all the streets that are not built to present day standards? Maybe all restaurants that do not comply to the electrical codes of the newly built ones? Looks like there won't be much history left in Utah except in the Mormons data bases. Too bad that a state with such a great history of religious freedom has decided that the history of the automobile is not worth saving.

·
Race The Truck
675 Posts
They tried that out hear But on 20/20 or 60mins the did a stories on emanate domain. State and city steeling land.I belive the got An Attorney the did that kind of thing Save the guy brake shop for the city trying to give it to the ace hardware store so he could have a better location.

Craig

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,859 Posts
I'd find a really good lawyer that wants to make a boatload of money. Not permitting an auction, is this a communist state? Very few cars leave wrecking yards to find their way back onto the street, most are parts cars. Dan

·
Registered
336 Posts
I was out there a couple saturdays ago. Its damn sad. Alot of excellent iron still there. Tons of 40's and 50's cars and trucks. I found a 51 Studebaker that would be cool as h&ll all done up pro street style. Several Stude cars and trucks. It was kind of weird though. Crusher on the way but he still wanted top dollar for a project vehicle. Would have bought the stude and another car. Both now off to the shredder. :(

·
Registered
7,518 Posts
State goverments cannot invade on private property without due prosess. there has to be an enviromental issue with the land, before they can condemn it, like motor oil, gas in the soil, but the contents on the property cannot be affected, they just have to be moved/ sold, they can not be condemmed unless they are enviromentally unsafe. if it was a building, it would have to be structurally unsafe, or enviromentally unsafe.

·
Car? Truck? Who Cares
2,485 Posts
matt167 said:
State goverments cannot invade on private property without due prosess. there has to be an enviromental issue with the land, before they can condemn it, like motor oil, gas in the soil, but the contents on the property cannot be affected, they just have to be moved/ sold, they can not be condemmed unless they are enviromentally unsafe. if it was a building, it would have to be structurally unsafe, or enviromentally unsafe.
A few years ago, when I lived in Salt Lake City, The city decided to sell four sqare blocks of city property in the middle of town.
The property was sold to the LDS Church without the property being posted in the paper. No other buyers had the opportunity to bid or buy it.
Separation of Church and State my hiney.
Tooele was growing some when I left, perhaps the Church/State(sarcasm)is using a development ruse to build housing for all the children that the poligimist twits are breeding. Just more illegitamate (sp) children the people of Utah have to support.

Bryan>>>>>>>>>a bit opinionated on Utah politics and the LDS Church--no offense intended

·
Blowin' it
413 Posts
How bout everybody start sending e-mails and letters to the Utah government, stating how worthless and how money driven they really are. Let them know how the general public feels.

I'll start with one, but what is the name of the salvage yard?

Jason

·
CQNRQY
201 Posts
The future of the world

xntrik said:
TIME.

In a month it will all be history.
Is It any Surprise that world is in trouble :confused:
The goverment only responds to influential people with to much money and NO BRAINS. :( Bailing out the rich and overproducing Junk :mad:
Maybe J Leno could help :mwink:
Maybe the goverment should reward us for saving the great cars of the past :thumbup:
:pimp:

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,460 Posts
What about "recycling"? That is after all what a wrecking yard is!

I will tell you, that ground IS contaminated. It is full of oil and fuel and will need to be stripped.

But the thought that "those cars will get on the roads" is just insane, again, what about recycling?

Brian

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.