Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Moose2
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some help; rebuilding the 385hp 425 in my '66 Starfire and I need a harmonic balancer. Do I have to find one specifically for a 425, or is there a generic GM big-block balancer that fits my engine? The compatibility charts on the ebay auctions don't give me much hope of a cross-match. Also, does anybody know where to go for a NOS balancer for the 425? The vintage Olds specialty parts stores will rebuild mine, but don't have any NOS. Thanks for helping!
Mike:evil:

·
More machine than man
851 Posts
I would avoid a NOS balancer....from 1966! Get a good aftermarket unit. The rubber elastomer will be brittle and cracked on a NOS. It will not be able dampen, will slip the inertia ring, and may fly apart hurting people or your car/engine. The balancer is no place to skimp.

·
Moose2
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I appreciate what you're saying, but the 1966 425 is odd in today's market and I can't find a balancer (period). I realize too that the balancer from a smaller engine of the same vintage might fit, but I can't find one of those to even compare parts numbers........ Even the vintage Oldsmobile sites will offer to rebuild ONLY 1961-64 balancers, and ebay has over 700 auctions for balancer's and I found just one for a '66 425 and that one was used. I contacted the Damper Doctor and they would rebuild mine (they have no core to rebuild) and I was trying to move a little faster than waiting for mine to get shipped (both ways) and rebuilt in the meantime...... I don't choose to scrimp but I seem to be running out of options.

·
More machine than man
851 Posts
Gotcha. In the middle of reading your post I was going to suggest damper Dr. They have a great rep and good prices. It is a good option, too bad its your only option. Did they give you a time est. On rebuilding your old one?

·
Moose2
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I appreciate your feedback on the Damper Doctor (I've never used them). If I hurry and get my old damper to them they may get 'er done before they close shop (they close in the month of Sept). Otherwise I gotta wait until October, and I wanted to be rippin' some rubber by then!!!!! I'm putting a mild Isky cam and valve train in along with a couple of other tweaks. The block has been zero-decked and it needed a re-bore so it'll be .040 over when I get it back. I'm hoping it'll push 400 hp and have a stronger torque curve, and I'm getting IMPATIENT. Maybe psycho is a better word........:evil:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.