Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at matching up a motor for my next project and I want the ols school look of a indy motor so I have been considering using a olds 4 cyl engine. Been doing a bit of surfing and notice some are not as good as others and I wanted to know if anyone had any luck with these.

·
Banned
9,993 Posts
both the Eco and Quad 4 are great 4 bangers- they biggest problem with both is limited displacement, but if you want something unique and don't mind sacrificing the power then they're a great way to go.

Mantapart has parts for both of them as do a few other limited suppliers.

The Quad 4 done right really has an Offy feel to it and has REALLY good performance for being only 2.3/2.4L. Some basic mods can put you over 100hp/L naturally aspirated on pump gas which is pretty good- imagine a 570hp sbc.

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
Early 90's Olds' had a Quad 4 that made good power NA, but those engines are long gone by now- if you find one, plan on a complete repop.

The Ecotec is making over 200 HP in production Cobalts already- from the car lot or as a crate engine straight from the dealership, w/warranty. These have a blower. There's a turbo version that makes 260 HP, and that puts it over 2.1 HP/ci- or "same as" a 735 HP 350, also pump gas. ;)

As stated in the link above, the Ecotec's making over 1450 HP from about 130 cid w/a turbo, full race trim, obviously. This would make a 3900 HP 350. Enough yet?

·
Banned
9,993 Posts
The Eco's are great engines but Quad's are cheaper- it all depends what you want, either is great- the ECO is the better of the two as demonstrated though, and after 60,000 miles you will want to replace the timing chain on the quad- I did enough of them after they broke to know all abou that. When I was workin in a shop I could pull a Quad, replace the chain and waterpump and pop it back in in a normal 8 hour day. Of course most of the time we had to send the head out to be redone though as they are an interference engine...

·
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel
6,318 Posts
Do some research on the quads. Anecdotal word on the street is that some of the heads like to crack and others are fine. Might want to confirm/refute that before diving in.

Hot Rod or Car Craft did a great article a couple years back about all the Quad4 stuff; crank/block combos, heads, etc... ways to build the biggest, best Quad and such.

·
Old(s) Fart
6,018 Posts
The Q4 is used in rods because it can easily be made to look like an old Offy four banger. Toss the ribbed coil cover and mount the coil packs remotely with longer wires. The cam covers polish up nicely. Paint the block with aluminum paint and you have a cool looking little engine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.