Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may have to sell my '73 Olds next year unfortunately due to reasons I can't go into here, sorry folks. I hate to do it, since I've had it since 1975, it's kind of grown on me. I was wondering what everyone thinks of the fact that Olds' are no longer being made has done to the value of these vehicles, since most people think of Oldsmobiles as an old persons car? :(

·
hot rods forever
36 Posts
Hi 73oldsman,

i had a 66 olds f85 when i was 16 330 v8 It would smoke the rear tire.

If only it was a posi rearend. my mom has 03 alero. nice car. oldsmobile will always be a good car to me, i hate to see them stop making them. other cars seem to disappear to.

charley1

·
Just one of the guys
3,074 Posts
The Olds Omega was never a ppular car to begin with, but given it's age and shape it's in and also the fact that it is very similiar to the Nova body style you should be able to get a pretty decent price out of it. Not a fortune by any means but you should be able to get well over average.

·
Administrator
18,631 Posts
Trouble I have seen with the Olds and other offshoots of the Novas, or Chevelles or whatever.......They are more rare than the Chevy counterparts, but they dont retain the value of them.......Good deal for the buyer.

·
Analog man in a digital world.
2,252 Posts
The demise of Olds probably isn't going to have any affect on the value of your car. Bummer you're going to have to part with it, looks like you have done a lot of work to it. I have to agree it might not bring as much as a similar Nova but it's a clean looking car tastefully done so it should still bring a good price. Is my memory failing or didn't Olds make a "Rallye" model of the Omega simialr to the "Rallye 350" '72 Cutlass? If they didn't they should have......... Maybe I'm thinking of the "Rallye" Nova.

If it were closer and I wasn't up to my armpits in vehicles already I'd consider giving it a good home. I need something to put my 15 X 7 Olds Super Stock wheels on. ;) Good luck and hope it works out so you can keep your car.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't recall a Rally model Olds. Mine came stock with bucket seats, floor shifter, and the color matching spoke wheels popular with the models back then, all of which I still have. I'm not giving up on the Olds yet, but it's not looking good. I just have to wait and see what the new year brings. Thanks for everyone's inputs. Merry Christmas and Happy New Years!

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Rally Olds was a one year only 1970 Cotlass with all yellow everything and a little wing.
I really hope you can keep the car Olds are my favorites (next to Fords) and I have had some great ones, including a 1974 Omega that I had a 67 high compression 330 in. It was a hatchback and I really liked it. I had another friend with a 73, stock 350 4 bbl. and it ran like stink. Sell something else I say.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Oldsman,

I've never been a big fan of the later Nova's and Nova-clones. Just personal preference.

I have to say, though, that is a sweet machine you have there. Kudos to you for keeping it in such great condition for all these years.

I may have to change my mind about those old Novas after seeing pics of yours.

I hope you can find a way to keep it.

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,459 Posts
The prices of similar (if not down right better) GM cars are simply not all the same. Chevy will ALWAYS be the higher priced one of the bunch, period. They always have been, they always will be.

It makes no sense to me either. I sold my 65 Skylark a year or so ago. It was VERY nice with zero rust, EVER. The body bolts were still bore the original zinc plating! The underside of the floor was shiny original body color! Just a nice old car perfect for restoration. Drove it everyday, I would still run off across country in it. 2Dr hardtop with bucket seats.

I put it on ebay and got $2700 for it. It made me want to cry that if it was a Chevelle in the same condition it probably would have gotten eight or ten grand!

But that is just the way it is, even if it is better (and I believe the Skylark was) than the Chevelle, there are fewer people who wanted it.

Supply and demand my friend, supply and demand.

Brian

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Gota Lova A Olds ! I bought my 77 Cutlass Supreme 403cid auto in 1984. I've since rebuilt the 403 and the 350th tranny and all new 4 coil springs and a complete PST front end kit plus new brakes ect. 30 spline 373 posi and aftermarket axles in the 10 bolt next.

Mustangsaly

Attachments

·
Administrator
18,631 Posts
Probably, because they were bigger and heavier than the same cars before and after them................They do ride the nicest though.

·
Home School Valedictorian
1,639 Posts
Hippie said:
Nice! :thumbup: I just don't understand why the '73-'77 GM A-bodies aren't more popular... :confused: They have so much potential..... Oh well, more for us! :cool:
I remember when they first appeared at the dealers, dad loaded the family up in the 67 Pontiac Ventura 2 dr that he and my uncle put a built 455 in and rumbled down to have a look. I thought the bumpers were hideous and I guess that first impression always stuck with me, that and at the time how could they eliminate duel exhaust and have catalytic converters. :pain:
Now I am many years older and my opinions have changed.....somewhat. :D

·
Analog man in a digital world.
2,252 Posts
1ownerT said:
I thought the bumpers were hideous and I guess that first impression always stuck with me, that and at the time how could they eliminate duel exhaust and have catalytic converters. :pain:
Now I am many years older and my opinions have changed.....somewhat. :D

Their time is coming. ;)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.