Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I've found some very interesting information about a DOHC 4 banger engine, the "Quad 4" by Oldsmobile, amde in the late 80's and early 90's.

According to Hotrod Magazine, these things had around 180 hp, in a NA 2.3.

Whats the chance's of this Oldsmobile engine fitting into a 1991 Mustang 2.3? Im not very well educated on the electronics of engines, so whether this could even have the slightest hope of working, I dont know.

But It would be cool to maintain a NA 2.3 with some decent power. And, I dont care about Ford loyalty one bit, so.

Thanks!

·
Administrator
18,636 Posts
Other than wiring, I think your biggest issues would be motor mounts and bellhousing/transmission. I have heard of them being used in street rods, so I am sure its possible........but, is it worth it?

·
Buick Hybrid Guy.
255 Posts
Yes.. it's very possible.....

I'm a GM fan but I've been around the quad 4 several times. (working on it) The timing chains/guides had alot of problems along with some of the head castings cracked (not sure on the years) It's a good air flowing engine. I rember in GM Tech school when I was there reading about a turbo charged quad 4 making a touch over 800hp.

Now... if it were me .. I'd find a Thunder bird turbo coupe (2.3L) turbocharged or (harder to find) a SVO Mustang with the Turbo 2.3L and do a swap into your mustang. That engine is very good start. There's parts avalible for it and you'd have great drivability and power. There's several sites for the SVO and Turbo Coupe's and Swaps for them that can help you along the way.

We ended up putting a 87 Grand National engine in a 87 LX hatch Mustang because we are GN guy's... here's a picture of how that turned out ;)
It ran 11.40's in the Camaro the engine was in before so with the Mustang chasis being several hunded LBS lighter we should see 10.90's on pump gas being totaly streetable. If your interested in that kind of swap you can find more info at www.turbobuick.com under "Hybrids" there's several guy's doing that swap into mustangs and alot of other cars.
** The one picture is how we got the car for 400.00 :drunk: **
What were we thinking?
~Scott

Attachments

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
After owning a '79 Turbo Mustang, would not even consider the Quad 4. Speedway offers a bunch of performance parts for this engine as there is a 2.3 Formula Ford series in the midwest. The turbo engine runs like a bear, has some very strong pieces and the later intercooled version is even better yet with in excess of 200hp in a stock version. The early non-intercooled version does need some TLC for turbo life, with the only 'soft' area I know of being valve guide seals.

Why bastardize the car, and create lots of extra work when the 2.3 has the performance capabilities covered.

Dave

·
be a man dodge tree bark!
167 Posts
UR50SLO said:
Yes.. it's very possible.....

I'm a GM fan but I've been around the quad 4 several times. (working on it) The timing chains/guides had alot of problems along with some of the head castings cracked (not sure on the years) It's a good air flowing engine. I rember in GM Tech school when I was there reading about a turbo charged quad 4 making a touch over 800hp.

Now... if it were me .. I'd find a Thunder bird turbo coupe (2.3L) turbocharged or (harder to find) a SVO Mustang with the Turbo 2.3L and do a swap into your mustang. That engine is very good start. There's parts avalible for it and you'd have great drivability and power. There's several sites for the SVO and Turbo Coupe's and Swaps for them that can help you along the way.

We ended up putting a 87 Grand National engine in a 87 LX hatch Mustang because we are GN guy's... here's a picture of how that turned out ;)
It ran 11.40's in the Camaro the engine was in before so with the Mustang chasis being several hunded LBS lighter we should see 10.90's on pump gas being totaly streetable. If your interested in that kind of swap you can find more info at www.turbobuick.com under "Hybrids" there's several guy's doing that swap into mustangs and alot of other cars.
** The one picture is how we got the car for 400.00 :drunk: **
What were we thinking?
~Scott
hey yah scott!!
any ways you would be better off and time better spent using the 2.3 and find an esslinger svo head and goo.
you can buy them cheap and the turbo 2.3 will make alot more power.

everything is more readily avalible for the 2.3 then quad four.
which were proned to cracked heads. timing chain tensioner failers.
kurt

·
Buick Hybrid Guy.
255 Posts
Serious.... I'm here in Elkhart....

What kind of car is that blue one by your name? Cool looking peice.

I think this guy's going to be doing the Turbo 2.3L swap :)

There's a guy that go's up to Martin MI with a very strip'd 82 Coupe with a 2.3L running on alchol making low 10sec passes... It's sweet.

Rack up the guy's rooting for the 2.3L swap!!!! :thumbup:

~Scott

·
Buick Hybrid Guy.
255 Posts
On that main page you'll need to look at the top where it says "MSG Board"

Click on that and you'll be taken to another page where there will be several

topic's from general buick tech and on down the page where you'll see a

topic that says "Hybrids" in there is all the guy's putting GN engine's into

different cars. From stock to a crazy guy with a stage 2 opel GN that runs 8's

See you there, :thumbup:
Scott~

·
be a man dodge tree bark!
167 Posts
yah scott i know your car.
your partner hangout on SD at times.
to many reason to do the 2.3 turbo swap.
the little car is called a Deutsch bonnet. it is from a collection here in our area.
i have it's predecessor in the shop right now . it goes to the peterson muesum in a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Hey cool - Elkhart and South Bend - I'm about 1/2 hour north in Baroda. UR50SLO - does your car ever make it out to Osceola? Looks like a pretty cool swap, usually circle track racing on Friday nights, but it looks like Osceola has some test and tunes early this year on Sundays I might get a few friends and come play - would like to see that Bu-Stang up close (or is it Musick?)!

Back to the subject: BMM - I agree with the others, I have no experience with the quad 4, but the 2.3 is a darn good engine from Ford - why ditch that when you can focus your time on making it scream instead of focusing your time on what wires to solder and mounts to fabricate? I understand the dare to be different approach, but this one doesn't seem like a sound plan.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.