Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to have my body media blasted and am unsure of what to do here. This body had very little, if any rust, but they are very prone to rusting in specific areas, like all bodies I guess. The shop that'll be doing the blasting has offered to apply PPG epoxy black (?) to it once blasted, for a fair price, but I don't know if that's the best route? Any suggestions? I was going to use a rust protective paint like POR or the Eastwood Rust Encapsulator but seeing as there really is no rust now, why bother?

Also, as for proceeding once the PPG epoxy is laid down, what's next? I have the following here already:

2K Ployurethane Primer Surfacer

Gray Premium High Build Self-Etching Acrylic Lacquer Primer Surfacer

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Sorry, one more question. The areas that are especially prone to rust, what should I do there? All areas are very easily accessable.

Cheers,
Steve

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Hemogoblin said:
I'm going to have my body media blasted and am unsure of what to do here. This body had very little, if any rust, but they are very prone to rusting in specific areas, like all bodies I guess. The shop that'll be doing the blasting has offered to apply PPG epoxy black (?) to it once blasted, for a fair price, but I don't know if that's the best route? Any suggestions? I was going to use a rust protective paint like POR or the Eastwood Rust Encapsulator but seeing as there really is no rust now, why bother?

Also, as for proceeding once the PPG epoxy is laid down, what's next? I have the following here already:

2K Ployurethane Primer Surfacer

Gray Premium High Build Self-Etching Acrylic Lacquer Primer Surfacer

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Sorry, one more question. The areas that are especially prone to rust, what should I do there? All areas are very easily accessable.

Cheers,
Steve
Listen to the blaster and let him put epoxy on the bare metal.

Short and sweet lose the Por, encapsulator, acid etch primer and lacquer primer for best results. (if catalyzed its legal to give to garbage man!)

ALL you need is.
epoxy
2K primer
paint
Clear.
So simple.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
epoxy on bare metal is the number one choice, but remember to remove all seam sealer before you have the car blasted, as you will want to reapply a good urethane seam sealer, and preforably have epoxy underneath

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, looks like I'm headed in the right direction :) But the seam sealer stuff, what is that exactly? Is that the stuff that looks like caulking, only it's rock hard? And wouldn't that come off when the blasting is done?

I just searched the net to see what info I could find on the sealer, and it looks pretty straight forward I guess. Just squeeze it out like toothpaste where ever it is now on the body? Any brand in particular? Thanks again :)

Cheers,
Steve

·
Registered
417 Posts
The seam sealer cures to a hard surface but is often somewhat resiliant inside so the sand just bounces off. It is a good idea to remove as much as you can before blasting. The blaster would have to spend extra time on those areas which is not the best idea.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.