Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
lol, here's a stupid question!

So I'm putting in my new distributor, and I like the amount of play I have to do the timing before the vacuum its the wall, but I think I'm past the first plug on the rotor... is it possible to just, in a clockwise fashion, move the plug wires over one, so that it fires the correct one?... I mean, essentially that's what you're doing to a lesser extent when you mess with initial timing, correct?

K

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
I've done this one two different cars for clearance reasons (the in-cap coil hitting the firewall causing the timing to change as it would push the distributor back in timing lol). Never had a problem doing it except a friend going to work on it and being a bit confused for awhile.

·
Premium Member
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah it kinda throws things off. I didn't really want to take the distributor out (due to chronic laziness) but I guess I will and screwdriver it... Seems like I always have to do that crap!

Weird. Take out the old distributor and its fine, put the new one in and its off! Ah well. Just got done building my wires tonight (Moroso Super 40's hell yeah dude). Bolt the carb on, set the distributor and click the wires into place.... PUT A FORK IN HER SHE'S DOOOONE

K:thumbup:

·
Registered
385 Posts
You don,t even have to use a screw driver.Get #1 up to TDC set balancer at timing mark drop dist. in on #1 on the cap and have a freind bump it over while you hold the dist. down or use the hold down with a little pressure and it will pop in to the oil pump.:welcome:

mike

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
Yep, above works good also, done it many times.

K, the reason it gets off when you remove the distributor is the gears are helical. As you lift up the distributor the gears cause the shaft to turn slightly as you lift it, which moves the oil pump shaft slightly until the dist disengages. This puts the oil pump shaft in a different position than when you removed the dist.

Vince

·
Premium Member
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rogers Performance said:
You don,t even have to use a screw driver.Get #1 up to TDC set balancer at timing mark drop dist. in on #1 on the cap and have a freind bump it over while you hold the dist. down or use the hold down with a little pressure and it will pop in to the oil pump.:welcome:

mike
Uhh, that wouldn't work. Because while the distributor was most of the way in, it wouldn't be turning the pump, but when you bump the ignition, the rotor would turn, not the pump, so it would turn, and drop in... at exactly the spot I left the oil pump.

K

·
Registered
385 Posts
killer i have been doing it that way for years you want to make sure it is in gaged to the cam and as the cam turns it will find the slot in the pump and drop in.

mike

·
Premium Member
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
lol, george you're cranky today. How about this. You send me some shims, I'll send you some pamprin. :thumbup:

Got her running today!!! Yeah dude, fired right up. SOunded pretty geeeewwwd.... Some adjustments to be made.

K

·
The Smell of Nitro in the morn
2,411 Posts
Come on up and we will tune it along with the valve train again.
IM 1 block over from the dragstrip and my conquest is running OK.
IM shooting for a low 13s with the way its setup.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts