Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a question on another board. Here is the quote

ok let me break this down.
one day i was working on the engine for something small. i noticed that one of the spark plug wires was broken completely off. so i went to the store and bought new ones and spark plugs. i changed it and found out the plugs werent gapped. so i gapped them. then the truck started to stutter, back fire and not start. so i checked the wiring and its beenin the correct fireing order, only the wiring connections seem alil suspect; it will start up and run but then shortly after the engine will go faster then slower, then some times get so slow it stops in the street. then maybe the check engine light comes on and then when i restart it it will start roar and then act up..i need the timing fixed i know that. but beyond that i found it was getting air within the engine, so i found screws to fill those holes. but beyond that it still rattles and the only way to keep it started is switch the cords to different firing order..what the heck could be wrong??
I figure the distributor and maybe some vaccuum lines are screwed up. I do not know what year or model of truck either. I put in a request for that info.
SO what do you think. And please be kind, I am just trying to help somebody else out.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I can only imagine the damage that can be done by randomly switching the firing order of the wires and trying to drive the truck. i.e., piston pulls fuel/air mixture into cylinder, comresses, and no fire on the plug. Piston then pulls more fuel/air into cylinder, then plug fies at piston full down at 2x capacity. That can cause a snapped connecting rod by itself. I'm not sure as to what the original problem was, but this can add to it.

And air in the engine? Hows that? He then went and plugged holes that he didnt know what they were. My recommedation is to bring it to the dealer. There are quite a few possible problems but his attempts to fix them may have done a bit more damage and created more things to chase down.

·
Shop Owner And Troll Hunter
2,643 Posts
sounds like it's ready for the junck yard.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts