Hot Rod Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Open to suggestions on transporting a classic

3K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Jon 
#1 ·
Well; I'm wanting to get started on my first rod project in 30 years. I have decided on a 65' or 66' "A Body" Dodge. I've located a couple within drivable distance of my area (the sticks). Just as I decided on a 65 Dart I found in a junk yard about 130 miles from me; I see this ad on Ebay for a Dart that is cleaner; it's 200 dollars cheaper; it has all the parts; and it even RUNS!....But; the darn thing is about 900 miles from me. The guy won't deal with me on shipping it. I've got quotes from auto transport companies that are higher than the price of the car. Now; I had a great idea! I'm going to the NHRA Fram Nationals in Sonoma at the end of the month which is about 2/3rds of the way there. I figured if the guy would bring it 300 miles north to meet me; I'd give him a bit more than he was asking for it. But; he says it has brake problems and he doesn't want to risk the drive. Gads! I know it sounds like I'm asking for a good swift kick in the rear bumper; but .....eehhhhhh.......does anyone have any great ideas on saving some cash in getting the little "A Body" from Central Cali to Central Oregon in one piece without draining the "hot rod fund" before it even gets started? :spank:
The major transport companies charge a fortune (a buck per mile); but are there "privateers" that do this "classic delivery" on ramp trucks or something?

#2 ·
transport

Yeah; thats the thing. I would just rent a trailer and make a weekend of it by going myself; but I'm already going 2/3rds of the way there in 2 weeks (but a really full weekend) The guy e-mailed me and said if I paid to have the brakes redone; maybe he would drive it up to the San Francisco area to bring it to me, and then I'd rent a trailer to tow it home from there. I might consider this. I was just kinda curious if any of you guys might know of a smaller transport company that would bring it for about half what the big transport companies charge ($800 for 800 miles) It's not worth it to me to shell out $1600 for an $800 car. On the other hand; I might be saving money in the long run because she's in such good condition campared to the junk yard cars I'm finding closer to home. Lots to consider! :D

#4 ·
gr8art said:
But; the darn thing is about 900 miles from me. The guy won't deal with me on shipping it.
The major transport companies charge a fortune (a buck per mile)

900 miles at 1 dollar a mile is $900.

For $900, or a little more/less ....you can buy a trailer. You KNOW you will need one...with a project car. I will NOT be without one ( I have two......1 open and 1 enclosed ) The enclosed is at the corner of the house.

JUST GO GET IT...........

Plus.......if the little project car is NOT as good as you have been led to believe......you can leave it there.......

#5 ·
You know ones guys "bad" brakes maybe anothers no big deal. What about driving down and looking at it. You might be able to just bleed the brakes and drive her home. I have bought a lot of cars that guys thought wouldnt go. One guy chased me down the street after I got the thing running. I gave him the money($100.00) and then tinkered with it for a a few minutes and fired her up and got the heck out of there. (it turned out he had installed a new after market ignition system and didnt disconnect the old one from the coil so it would occasionally ground the coil and kill it. He thought it had alot of wiring problems, and it was a brittish car). Boy was he mad.

John

#6 · (Edited)
propaniac said:
You know ones guys "bad" brakes maybe anothers no big deal. What about driving down and looking at it. You might be able to just bleed the brakes and drive her home. I have bought a lot of cars that guys thought wouldnt go. One guy chased me down the street after I got the thing running. I gave him the money($100.00) and then tinkered with it for a a few minutes and fired her up and got the heck out of there. (it turned out he had installed a new after market ignition system and didnt disconnect the old one from the coil so it would occasionally ground the coil and kill it. He thought it had alot of wiring problems, and it was a brittish car). Boy was he mad.

John
Good story! :p I would go down myself; but don't have the time to take 3 days off. SOOOOOO....I decided to go ahead and just buy it and have it transported. (Gulp) But......If I get burned ....I probably deserved it! Actually I haven't seen another in this good of shape yet. It would cost me plenty to bring the others up to this standard; so....it's worth the risk I think.

Attachments

#7 ·
i'm in the car transport business, try these guys there good. we are a in depend car transport company. we book from these guys there straight up. we have a single axle 99 frightliner with a 53' take three 3/4 car hauler. we run NC to Denver Co. then Denver Co. to Chicago then DC Norfolk Va. or Chicago to NC.

with origination and destination address i can give you a little better idea on price, butt transport door to door will be (ballpark) around 40 to 50 cents a mi. (if the car is inop you can add another $150) i can give you a couple good brokers, i would use McNutt Auto Transport, there not the cheapest but they take care of you. or do a search 4 auto transport.

i could put it on a national board and get transporter to transport it 4 ya, and save you some money by cutting out the broker and broker fees, butt we are a transporter not a broker, witch means we have no brokers license and no brokers bond. transport outfits are insured, butt if something happened to your vehicle during transport it's nice to have a broker involved to help you, make sure you get taken care of.

if you pick a broker cause there cheap, and just say there having money trouble or there just a shady outfit, and the broker don't pay the transporter, the transporter can come back on you (the shipper)and make you pay, even if you paid the broker. then to get it right you have to go after the brokers bond.

the safest way is to give the broker a deposit 4 the transport, and then give the transporter reaining amount of payment to the truck at delivery, then you know transporter is paid (the deposit you give the broker is there fee 4 setting up transport)

you will sign a inspection sheet on both ends (pickup and delivery). check your vehicle over GOOD B4 SIGNING AT DELIVERY, things like your under carrage, driveshaft, exhaust, roof and hood, trunk, bumpers, make sure that mileage is writen on inspection sheet at pickup b4 singing. once you sign this, it releases them from any liability or damages you might find later, don't let them hurry you on checking out you car at delivery.

if you have any other questions just ask.

B4 you car leaves on a truck get trucking co. info including ICC MCC #

McNut would be my 1st choice

http://mcnutttransport.com/home/
McNutt Auto Tran Svc
Broker
P.O. Box 207
Lowry City, MO 64763
Preferred Contact Method: Any
Main Phone: 800-755-2324
Local Phone: 417-644-2273
Fax Number: 417-644-2275
Email: mcnuttautotrans@inter-linc.net
Web Site: http://mcnutttransport.com

Reindeer Auto Reloc.
Broker

212 W. 10th Street
Indianapolis, IN 46202

Preferred Contact Method: Phone

Main Phone: 800-428-0589
Local Phone: 317-299-2878
Fax Number: 317-299-3099
Hours:
Email: Click to Send Email to Reindeer Auto Reloc.
Web Site: http://www.reindeerauto.com

#8 ·
Re:

Thanks very much for your reply. As it turns out; my excavator let me borrow his auto trailer to go down and get it myself. My wife and I decided to make a vacation out of it and take our time coming back up the California coast. If i hadn't come across this trailer for free; I'd surely go with your suggestion. Thanks again!
Ken

#10 ·
Added to Hotrodders Knowledge Base

This discussion has been added to the General Rodding Tech Discussions category of the Hotrodders Knowledge Base.

--For the main page of the Hotrodders Knowledge Base, click here.

--For more information on the Hotrodders Knowledge Base, click here.

--For information on becoming a Hotrodders Knowledge Base Editor, click here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.