Hot Rod Forum banner

Which Would Bring a Higher Selling Price?

• Restoring to Original Style

Votes: 5 71.4%
  • Creating a Customized Style

Votes: 2 28.6%
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Acoustic Rock ... for real.
1,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My nephew has a 1971 Mustang Mach I Fastback. It has the original 351 Cleveland engine (the 2bbl heads might not be original), but the hood (w/functional ram air) and one front fender have been replaced. It has a Ford 9-inch rear, C6 automatic trans (shifter's on the floor), power windows and door locks and all original factory gauges in the dash.

We're gonna be restoring this puppy "one o' dem days," and I thought I'd ask for opinions here -- which aproach do you think would bring the highest resale price: restoring it to an original look ... or going all-out custom?

Also, thanks for any suggestions, etc.

Alan
54 Chevy Pickup

·
Registered
182 Posts
I'm torn and therefore cannot vote yet... Do the numbers match? I think if you are going to put some work into then see what is there first. If it has the possibility...or should I say probability to actually be restored to original condition with original parts then that will surely be worth more in the long run, but if you are missing some stuff like the original motor...tranny...etc. you might as well make it fast and custom cuz it's not original anyways.

Check some numbers and post some pictures....

·
Registered
56 chev on 79 chassis, 62 LeSabre
3,141 Posts
the word "custom" covers alot of ground, home slice. i would at the least try to find some 4bbl heads and put a 4bbl on top. good luck on that one tho, they are real hard to find

3,214 Posts
I am kind of partial to Mustangs, and am currently working on a '67. I am not that knowledgeable of the values of the '71, but most of the Mach I Mustangs sell very well in the stock form. If I do any modifying to a resonably restorable unit, it is usually very subtle. They sell well as stockers, and if the buyer wants one that is "custom", they usually want to do it themselves. Custom wheels and tires usually don't hurt much. I would try to keep the color and engine as original as you can stand. Other than an improved stereo(without cutting the dash) you should keep the interior relatively stock.

This is just my opinion from experience with about 15 Mustangs, all either '67 or '68, except a '72 that I married to get.

·
Registered
169 Posts
adtkart said:
This is just my opinion from experience with about 15 Mustangs, all either '67 or '68, except a '72 that I married to get.
I married to get a '73!!! The things we do for our cars...

I like to hedge my bets. I have all the original parts for the Mustang, I'm not going to butcher it to the point that I can't return it to original condition. The interior is black where it used to be blue. The exterior will be candy red or maybe lime green (wife's choices--don't blame me) where it used to be blue. The engine numbers don't match so yahoo, I can give it a few steroids. Other than that, any mods I do to it will be removeable without a trace.

I did a beetle that way. I did a bunch of stuff, stereo, interior, colour, wheels, but the engine was the major mod. It was so small that it couldn't go on the highway so I oiled it and put it in a box for future considerations. Keep in mind that you never know what tomorrow will bring, original will almost always draw more money on resale, but original is usually pretty boring for a hotrodder.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Hey Alan, How is you?

if it was me, i'd resto-mod it. you can get better stuff as far as suspension and motor and tranny that it came with. I'm not saying you ought to drop a 6 speed manual in it, but you could. but what i am saying, make it better than it was from the factory. that's entirely within the realm of increased value and user friendlyness. beef up and spice up what drive train it has, get the newer stronger lighter suspension parts being made now. know what i'm sayin'?:pimp:
later, larry

·
Acoustic Rock ... for real.
1,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey, Larry

I is fine, bro'!
:thumbup:
And, yes, I hear what you're saying ... making it drive and handle better ... definitely a good way to go.

The best thing about all this is no matter what we do with these cars, the rewards and joys of the whole process is truly a gas!

Alan
54 Chevy Pickup

·
Administrator
18,635 Posts
It all depends what your nephew want from the car. If he wants to be a "Tight*ss" Mr perfection, all original, numbers matching, anal retentive Mustang owner......so be it.

But, us Hot Rodders think different..............................

·
Just one of the guys
3,074 Posts
It really all depends on who is looking for what at the time. That combined with the fact of how much money do you want to put into it and how much do you want to get out of it. You have to take in consideration that it is a Mach 1. Then you have to take in consideration the year. It was not one of the most desirable Mustang body styles ever put out. If it was a 429CJ then it would be worth restoring back to a numbers matching original. As a super clean restoration you might get 10-12g's out of it after completion to the right buyer. Put the right suspension on it, drop it a little, the right wheel and tire combo, and you may gain a little more but then you have to look at the amount of money sunk into it turning it into a "G" Machine. But after all of that it may be a keeper too. Not much help but just a few things to consider.

Kevin

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.