Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking around for compressors, and DeWalt has a few that looked good to me, so I started looking at other automotive tools they had. I know they have a good reputation with the construction community. I was wondering if anybody here had any opinions on them for the automotive side of things?

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
I also was skeptical of Dewalt, knowing they are made by Black & Decker. I had had terrible service from Black & Decker and have sworn them off for ever. I was given a Dewalt variable speed drill for my birthday. I have run that drill through the wringer trying to burn it up, I can't.

As far as their compressors, I do not know. I would avoid oil less direct drive compressors. Look for an honest HP rating, not peak HP, that is useless. Go with a belt drive unit.

Vince

·
Tazz
2,048 Posts
Which compressor to buy?

I bought my big one used, its a Standard American and my small one is a speedair. I have had both of these for years....8yrs on the big one, it was 10yrds old when I bought it and 20yrs on the small one.

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!

·
Registered
9,050 Posts
I'm with Vince on the De Walt thing. Black & Decker had such lousy service and cheap products that they had to introduce the DeWalt line to survive. I used to have Black&Decker shop equipment and you could not even get replacement service items from them. I even called Towsand Maryland several times thinking it was a local problem, but it was the parent company.

Now if it says B&D or DeWalt on it I pass, go to Milwaukee or Makita..

·
Registered
806 Posts
I'm sold on Milwaukee, I don't own any cause there out of my $$$ range for right now, but my dad's power tools are Milwaukee and the hammer drill of his thats over 20 years old just recently had the switch go out of it, ordered the new switch and it works like new again!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Dewalt tools are awesome! You have to try really hard and on purpose to kill one. We have a Dewalt drill at work going on about 10 years old and it is still in daily use.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts