Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys sorry for a new post but I would like any opinions good or bad on the holley street avenger carbs and what size would you recommend. I checked out holleys website and for a 350 up to 6000 rpm they recommend the 670 and anything over the 770 carb. My engine specs 350, dart iron eagle 200 cc heads, lunati voodoo 231/239 @ 50 cam 535/550 lift. Intake edelbrock rpm performer airgap. Am running about 9.4 to one CR and it runs good on pump gas and have 14 inches of vacuum at 1000 rpm idle. The carb now is killing me on what I have and am wanting to go with a vacuum secondary setup.

I don't know how much horsepower I am making but I am estimating around 430 to 450 at the most. I don't want to over carb my engine and it sees no track time its just a here and there driving type deal but I want to have better street manners from my carb and my quick fuel double pumper seems to be too much for it. Hope someone who has one can let me know there experience with one. Thanks
Eric

·
More for Less Racer
20,950 Posts
I commented on your other post about this. Just changing carbs is not going to be a "magic" fix. There is really no such thing as a perfect carb out of the box. 99 times out of 100 they will need tuning, do you think you will be that lucky 1 person??

The Quick Fuel carb you already have is a better carb than the out of the box Holley Avenger IMO, it just needs to be tuned to the engine. There is no "easy button" for this. There is no such thing as too much carb within reason, it's just not tuned to the engine correctly.

A properly CUSTOM built 1050 Dominator would run on your 350 and get good mileage and make excellent power, just to prove a point, but would cost you a $1000+.

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
I have the Holley Street Avenger carb on my 34 and I like it a lot.

The engine is a GM Performance Parts Fastburn 385hp 350cid. As delivered the carb was a little too lean on the primaries for me. I also played around for some time with the vacuum secondary diaphragm to get it to open when I wanted it to. The carb performs great, all I do is street driving, no drag racing or street racing.

Vince

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I bought a 670 for my camaro.It 041 heads,flat tops,headers,rv cam.It ran great with the street avenger. :thumbup:
I later changed the cam to a Comp 280H.It took about 5 minutes to change the power valve and reset the idle.
I would buy another and probably will.

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well it sounds good to me that it would make a more streetable carb to tune with. Yeah I know its not just a bolt and go type deal like they say. I have a jet set and cam set. I will sell my quick fuel carb and buy one of these and get it tuned good. I really never did want a double pumper carb anyways but I did not know that much about carburetors and the many pros and cons running one on the street compared to a vacuum secondary. I want to go with a vacuum secondary carb anyways wich is more friendly for cruising. Thanks guys for comments.
Eric

·
Registered
284 Posts
302 Z28 said:
I have the Holley Street Avenger carb on my 34 and I like it a lot.

The engine is a GM Performance Parts Fastburn 385hp 350cid. As delivered the carb was a little too lean on the primaries for me. I also played around for some time with the vacuum secondary diaphragm to get it to open when I wanted it to. The carb performs great, all I do is street driving, no drag racing or street racing.

Vince

Vince,

I am running the same basic set-up. Did you need to put the solenoid on to stop the dieseling or was it for another reason? My engine does not run on but I am getting some surging and inconsistent idle return. I think it was because the primary throttle opening was to great and as indicated in Lars' tune up instructions you are supposed to keep the butterflys in sink. The same openings for the front and the rear, at idle. Any adjustment made to the front must also be made to the rear. That left the rears open a lot more than they should have been. I haven't started the engine yet after I made changes. Will do that tomorrow. Just trying to develop some info on this, if I can.

Steve

·
Registered
8 Posts
I used one to replace a Q-junk on a stock 68 350 Rocket. The engine was rebuilt, only re-ringed. Thats it. The engine wouldnt idle by itsself at all. Now it only takes one pump, count to 3 and turn the key. Idles by it's self and drives great now...

So, yeah, i like em

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.