Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently gone back to a "rod" (55 Chevy Bel Air) and since its been quite a while I would like to hear from any and all regarding aftermarket electronic ignition systems. About 10 years ago I had pretty good luck with a Mallory system in my '68 Mustang/302/C-4, my new baby is running a mild crate 350 and 4 speed but still has the dreaded points-type ignition. This car is intended to be a "semi-daily" driver/cruiser so reliability is my major concern but I wouldn't rule out engine mods in the future.
Thanks in advance for taking the time.
:D

·
Registered
676 Posts
I have converted my 74 vintage 350 to the Pertronix Performance Products pointless ignition system with great results. They now have a newer version out that has improvements. It is avaialbe from Summitt Racing for less than $ 100.00. Their web site is www.pertronix.com. I hope this works for you--good luck

·
Registered
87 Posts
MSD,Mallory,Accel,Pertronix,etc they're all goin to be good systems. I would think that it's all gonna come down to $ vs what you feel comfortable with. good luck

·
Registered
676 Posts
Im runnin MSD in my car and its trouble free and works great. The reason i picked it is becasue of its reputation. I mean go to a drag race and make note of everybody's ignition system. 90% is MSD, including top fuel and funny cars.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
I've always been a fan of both Mallory and Accel, but lately I've been re-thinking my choices. If you're not going racing I don't think you can beat a good factory electronic ignition, especially for reliability and parts availability.

Although they're pretty common I'm not convinced you could walk into any parts store and pick up replacement parts for most of the aftermarket ignitions and if I'm on the road somewhere in bum**** Iowa or Florida for that matter, I don't want to wait a day or two for a simple part.

However, if you're going racing I would have to choose MSD.

[ May 08, 2002: Message edited by: Centerline ]

[ May 08, 2002: Message edited by: Centerline ]</p>

·
Registered
358 Posts
I used a Mallory system on a 383 stroker, and a Pertronics on a 327 which was running 11.5:1 forged pistons, humpty-humps, almost too much cam, the usual. The 327 ignition performed as well or better with the Pertronics than the high dollar Mallory setup on the stroker. Another benefit is that the Pertronics fits into a stock distributor and appears totally correct, for those worried about originiality.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have installed four of the Pertronix Performance Products pointless ignition systems one my 66 vett and three other club members cars. They are simple to install. Some times you don't even have to pull the distributor if the end play is under .03 of a inch. Buy there coil and you should have a good system.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Man, whatever you do, stay away from Mallory! Specifically their Unilite systems. The chip that controls the coil to build voltage(like points do) is prone to going bad from the engine heat. The MSD electronic system is much more reliable and is less prone from going bad. I had a Mallory Unilite in a hopped up 302. The chip would always act up after about two months of use and after replacing the little $90 piece, it worked fine for two months. Also it is easy to install it backwards and fry the chip, costing you $90 you could spend somewhere else. I am now in the process of wiring up a MSD Pro-Billet Distributor and Digital-6 plus Ignition box on my new 351W. My friend is running the same system on a 302 and he immediately noticed better milage and increased throttle response and notible power increase. They distributor and box together will cost you about $500. Go to the MSD website: <a href="http://www.MSDIGNITIONS.com" target="_blank">www.MSDIGNITIONS.com</a> to get some more information.

They also have a self contained "ready-to-run" unit that is a drop-in distributor for improvement over stock but doesn't have ability to control fuel injection. It runs about $250-270 and is what I would have bought if I wasn't planning on adding a racing fuel injection system in the near future.

Holley has some distributors and ignition boxes and so soes Edelbrock. I don't much about these but they are very close to the MSD systems. Two more companies that some of my friends have used and liked is Jacobs Electronics and Davis Unified Ignition (D.U.I.) and both have self contained distributors that don't need ignition boxes added on, and some even have the coil built into the cap. Do some research on the features and compare the prices. Decide what you want to do in the future because you don't want to spend $250 on something now and 6 months later, need to pull it out and spend much more on something better than you just got because what you just put in won't support what you want; but be realistic and only spend high if you are serious about racing or having a lot of power under the hood.

[ May 12, 2002: Message edited by: blown69stang ]

[ May 12, 2002: Message edited by: blown69stang ]</p>

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all of the responses, you all have really helped a lot. I have been doing research and for my application, a powerful and reliable daily driver / street rod, it looks like the MSD systems will fit my needs while still giving me options for the future.

Thanks again!!!

·
NEVER use credit cards!
3,110 Posts
have run a uni-lite since 1995, no problems, it does need a ballast resitor! and the 30-40 dollar voltage regulator would be insurance. but in a 55 truck and 350 i can hide a couple of immigrants in my engine compartment so overheating wasnt a problem. But a new module, which i bought once because the center of my coil wire burned in half in the middle, at 90 bucks, almost the cost of a new one, SUCKED! i still have the old one, just in case, so i spent the money for nothing. Mallory dual points are great if you like points, you can just run one set and have a back up in case they fry out in the middle of nowhere. Had an old accel that worked great. Also had a 400 HP 350 with a stock electronic ignition (for almost free) that ran perfect. All the above are less than $150. I think the life expectancy of the unilite module is something like 5 years tho, and they are supposed to be easy to blow up w/o a ballast resitor.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I just found out that the Ready-to-Run MSD distributors are upgradable. I told you that you need a different distributor to use the ignition boxes. Thats not true. You can add an ignition box (MSD 6A for example) to the Ready-To-Run distributors. What you do is disconnect the chip inside the distributo and run that wire to the box. Then from the box to the coil. So you can spend $20 extra for the R-T-R one instead of the $170 box and then if you want, you can add the box later. Sorry, but they don't say that on their website and I just found that out from one of my racer buddies.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Has anyone mentioned a stock HEI. If you have the room for the larger cap, these can be bought from the bone yard for about $25.00 and they work great. I have also used a couple of the pertronic conversions. They install where the points were in the stock type point distributor and they work great. I had one in an old ford truck that lasted about four years before I sold it and I still see the old thing driving around town. Pertronics makes this conversion for almost any engine, even old tractors.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I went to stock version HEI, only problem I had was not enough room for vacum canister, I'd have to hammer on firewall,(of course just painted) or
switch, I got Mallory with electronic vacum advance, clearance only thing, good luck

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hard to beat an MSD6A with a Pro Billet MSD distributor. I have had several rods with the same setup and not one problem, same as all my buddies who use the same system. It is a little pricey, the new Petronix II conversion looks good and my cousin with a '62 409 has had zero troubles and good performance. However make sure that your stock distributor is in good shape. I tried the Petronix on an old Corvette several years ago and kepy having problems because the distributor was worn out and a the shutter wheel and pickup kept colliding. Good luck.

·
Registered
584 Posts
i run the unilite with the msd6al.its good,but you must run the power filter(thats what mallory calls it)or the module in the distributor will die.and keep an extra 1 on hand as no one but jegs or summit have them in stock! compared to all my friends rides,i would go all msd after my experience with the unilite. 1 guy has the crane hi-6 set up,loves it.i dont remember what distributor he has.as stated earlier,msd is the most popular & reliable when talking to the rodders at the cruises & shows.g`luck. :cool:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Request for Help Samples or Locating Final Essay

What Up, My essay is late. I need to finda website that offers term papers online so I can buy that to give me a jump start on making my very own paper. Any reviews for decent term paper site. link. Ciao

·
Glad To Be Here
2,240 Posts
gamekid said:
What Up, My essay is late. I need to finda website that offers term papers online so I can buy that to give me a jump start on making my very own paper. Any reviews for decent term paper site. link. Ciao
You have asked your question on HOW TO CHEAT on the WRONG Bulletin Board!!! :nono: :nono: :nono:

You will NOT get any help here!!! :spank:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts