Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Born 13th Generation U.S.A.
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I have a 68 C10, SBC, 4L60 trans (non E). I have modified a OEM 69 auto 3 spd column to except a 4 spd over drive for the shift points in the area of top of the main mast jacket (pic #ered 1) and the lower mast jacket at the auto shift lever and the selector detent plate (pic #ered 3). I would like your feedback/opinions of the work I did will work .

Pic 1. shows where I made a relief cut (areas red circle & X) so the shift lever housing will now have room to go into first gear of the OD trans being if not cut the trans would shift from 1st and go into 2nd and hold there. The extra room now allows it to stay in 1st.
Pic2. shows the shift lever OEM fitment/placement in low/1st gear of a auto 350/400 trans.
Pic 3.shows the relief cut (red circle & arrow & X) showing the lever now has room for its 1st gear position for the 4 spd over drive.
Pic 4. shows not done yet "obviously" lol
(welded on metal piece) to have the shift lever to have a place to rest on for OD's 1st gear. My thinking if I don't weld on that additional piece of metal pad I will have to pull up on the shifter lever in Cab to get it into 2nd gear just like as you would do getting the lever out of neutral or Drive.
Pic5. is just what was explained above (I hope).

What do you think and do you think my idea will work?
Thanks ahead for any input (good or bad) you won't hurt my feelings,LOL
Marvin

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,981 Posts
I just checked the column on my 69 El Camino and I only have the lever and no knob/detent plate. The detents are in the transmission. Is the system you have, designed for reverse lock out? I imagine, I could slip mine into reverse quite easily.

·
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just checked the column on my 69 El Camino and I only have the lever and no knob/detent plate. The detents are in the transmission. Is the system you have, designed for reverse lock out? I imagine, I could slip mine into reverse quite easily.
I'm banking on the OEM Auto Column will work like it should (3 spd for T350/T400) for any gears but where my modifications are I can (in theory) pull it all the way down too lock it in 1st.

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,981 Posts
I'm banking on the OEM Auto Column will work like it should (3 spd for T350/T400) for any gears but where my modifications are I can (in theory) pull it all the way down too lock it in 1st.
It'll go for sure.

·
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Where are you at?
California is far. LOL!
In Yucca Valley, 35 miles North East of Palm Springs,CA
My lever works like most anything out there speacking in "older vehicles" wise. Lets stop here and talk about the OEM Column as it would be without my modifications (stock auto 3 spd) starting in/from 1st going up to 2nd you just slid it upwards then sliding it further into 3rd/D it will drop/lock into drive and neutral positions being at that point you do have to pull the shifter lever up towards you to get it out of that locked position (between D & N) then going further up into reverse it will kinda stay/lock depending if the "stop" is worn down, then you have to pull up again to get the lever past a built up bult in "stop" point in the detent plate to get it into park. So to answer your question I don't have a secondary pull lever---your words "lock out" my "lock out" is bult into the Dentent Plate. Go back and look at my self drawing in the first post to see or understand what I just described in my explanation.

·
the 'Duracell Project'
2,642 Posts
i have an 86 astro 3 spd van column in my 58 chevy truk with 700r4. all i did was lengthen the shift lever a bit to match the trans travel. initial setup was adjustable until i had the length fixed. my detents are in the trans, but the lever drop for n/d is in the column. when i setup the column i used drive position to adjust the shift rod, everything sort of fell in place after that

·
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That would have been my last resort only I'm trying to go as much original loo0ks as possible. I have read that using over drives its easier to ga for the newer columns that already have over drive shift points built into them. Well Im not a follower and kinda go the harder route just because. I'm also not changing out the shift indicator lens 3 spd to the 4 spd over drive indicator also just because. And no I wasn't a difficult child, LOL.

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,981 Posts
I drove in 1st for a bit last nite, and no issues. It just went past L2 a bit on the indicator and stayed there.
I understand what you're doing. I like that it takes effort to accidentally hit reverse while driving. Of course I didn't do a test while driving to see if a light upward push would pop it into reverse.

Reactions: mjgord51

·
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I drove in 1st for a bit last nite, and no issues. It just went past L2 a bit on the indicator and stayed there.
I understand what you're doing. I like that it takes effort to accidentally hit reverse while driving. Of course I didn't do a test while driving to see if a light upward push would pop it into reverse.
Mine while in neutral or drive locked in position it does take an effort to get it in reverse or 2nd/L2, you "purposely have to lift up to go to reverse or 2nd/L2 gears.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.