Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Kenneth Howard hates you...
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright folks...I am home with the flu today and I was laying in bed daydreaming of what I can do to my Chevelle after I watched American Graffiti and Hollywood Knights.
My question is this...How much does Orange show on defective bodywork? I know with black,forest green, etc, the bodywork has to be per-fect. What about Orange?
When I get around to doing the bodywork I am not going to skimp on it but I am by no means a pro at it...so if there is something that is imperfect is it going to show up a mile away?
Time to go pump up on some more meds and soak in the tub.
Later,
WEIMER

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Orange, red, white, yellow, lime green are all very good colors to use when trying to hide imperfections. Any bright color that will destract attention is great. Metallic bright colors are even better, and they look good too. Any color that reflects alot of light works great. White is best of course, but orange is a nice color too. Most people are trying to be different and adding yellow or gold pearl to orange now, but what they don't realize is everyone does it, so that basically makes the originality part null and void, but it still looks good :D

All orange is good in my book, expecially orange and black :D

HK

·
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks HK...I am going for the Orange with white stripes/interior/top look.
I also like yellow but yellow is everywhere now...
Later,
WEIMER

·
banned
1,083 Posts
I believe the best one to hid imperfections is a metallic silver... Of course it just doesn't look good on some cars but it does a good job in hiding stuff..

·
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Silvers are bad for touch ups and aging though. They never seem to look good after a couple of years.
Later,
WEIMER

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Weimer range and white look great, and you could even add some orange pearl flames or checkerd flag to the stripes for an added touch. If you like a metalic orange look into the 2002 GM PPG color sunburst orange met.

By the way I replied twice to your PM, guess the first one didn't go through. I also put up the only pic I could find of my bro and his chevelle in the album. Sheety picture because you can't see much of the car, but its about the best thats left.

HK

·
Tazz
2,048 Posts
Have Judge orange on my wifes 69 GTO clone. Looks great, I don't know about hiding imprefection, we took to much time on the body before it was painted to get it right. Those litte waves in the side panels were a pain.

Todd :eek: :D

·
Registered
40 Posts
I use to have a Hugger Orange 69 Firebird 400. A few days after I first got it I was sitting at a red light waiting to take a left when a guy came by staring so hard he blew through the red light. I thought WOW! This color really attracts attention! But over the years I had the car I took to calling that color “Hello Officer Orange”.

·
Registered
34 Posts
RS me and my buddy have been building a 69 firebird for 3 years we painted it this fall, 2001 Dodge Viper Yellow, you wanna talk about people staring.

·
8,453 Posts
Any color on a car is fine as long as it is yellow! Only problem I have found with yellow is that bugs REALLY like it. Got trapped in my car once by a swarm of bees, had to drive off!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Seems to me that although the final choice of colour is yours - if you dont get the panel work straight / perfect - you will always see the problem areas and end up kicking yourself for not spending enough time on the prep!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey all!

rs...I am working on a 68 firebird, and I HAD decided on Hugger Orange. Now (after reading your post) I am having second thoughts!! I sure dont want to paint it hello officer orange because I would like to be able to afford the insurance to actually drive it...IF I ever get it finished.....or if I can even get started on it!! Anyone have any suggestions on the best and cheapest place to buy floor pans? Guess that will be my start!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts