Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What can I do about the orange peel in my acrylic enamel paint job? The paintwas applied in July of 2002.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
wet sand and buff. Depending how bad it is start with a 400-2200+ then buff with the finishing/polishing compound by 3M and/or meguires No.7

HK

[ September 29, 2002: Message edited by: Halloweenking ]</p>

·
Registered
34 Posts
You can make it look like glass with what Hollow said, go easy with the 400 it will sand quick, maybe start with 800 if not experianced.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wet sanded and I lost a lot of my gloss. I guess I should just reshoot it, correct? I've got a little bit more experience now. So this might not happen again. The last time around, I think I put too thin of a coat on the fender.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Wet sanding will of course dull the finish. Once the area thats being wet sanded is uniformly dull, buff it out with a buffer and polishing compound like I said above.

HK

·
Registered
144 Posts
It should look good after you buff it out. Had the same sort of problem with a car of mine once. After wet sanding, and buffing, it looked 100% better! :)

Señor

·
Registered
144 Posts
Oh yeah, I almost forgot... if you are doing this outside on a sunny day, WEAR SUNSCREEN!

Got burned bad when I did mine years ago.. :mad:

Señor

·
Registered
4 Posts
i shoot a lot of acrylic enamel and if you decide to re-shoot it. when you get to your final coat and have a little paint left in the gun, mix in about a quarter of your guns cup full of thinner and spray a light even coat over the entire thing. the paint will lay down with almost no peel at all but don't do it to soon after your last coat or it will run like crazy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts