Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Nova Guru
502 Posts
Yea, you won't have any problem if you do it the next day or so, 1500 grit should cut it pretty easy... maybe as little as 2000 grit.

I'm going to try 2000 first, if it cuts it okay, thats what I'll use. no need in going any coarser than you have to.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh I see Yeah me to my 1952 willys trucks has been apart for about 3 years and I'm wanting it back together. Mostly for room in the garage. I have a 55 chevy in there alos all apart. Good luck

·
Registered
185 Posts
you have to wait for it to "flash". which mean just wait till you cant see any of the shine (wet spots) left in the paint then you spray another coat after you see the the panel looks all the same shade of the color.

·
Registered
185 Posts
chevymastermind said:
you have to wait for it to "flash". which mean just wait till you cant see any of the shine (wet spots) left in the paint then you spray another coat after you see the the panel looks all the same shade of the color.
ooops i didnt relize you were talking about clear wait about 8-15 min. inbetween coats! sorry. accually just check in the Dupont or whatever type of paint you used and it will useualy tell you on the back of the can or somrthing!

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,459 Posts
One of my "Basics" is posted on this thread (Click here) it may be of help.

One thing you need to remember is that if you leave "holidays" in your clear on the first coat, it is likely they will follow you all the way as orange peel. Your first coat of clear should literally look like it is done. If you have your gun set up properly and you apply a nice atomized coat with fifty percent or more overlap where after your first coat it looks nice with no dry spots, you will end up a lot better after another coat applied the same.

If you have a dry spot where the overlap wasn't enough, go back and dust some over it to wet it BEFORE it flashes too much. Then recoat as per the tech sheets as far as flash time. I think it is somewhere between 3-10 minutes. But just follow the sheet if you are using the proper reducer for the shop and metal temp you will be fine.

Brian

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.