• original

Votes: 1 14.3%

Votes: 6 85.7%
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 1979 chevy camaro. It has its original inline 250 stright 6. I did some research and i found out that chevy onyly made 2,200 Camaros in 1979 with 250s. Out of the 280,000 they made. So is it worth putting up with a 6 becase of its rareity or should i just go for a 350?

·
Registered
491 Posts
CaMaRoMaN_79

It all depends on you. Is the body straight? How is the frame? Do you have all the maintenance history?
Answer yes to these and a collector car it could be.

Has there been any modifying on the car already? Has it ever been in a wreck before? Are there upgrades in accessories?
Answer yes to these and a hotrod it needs to be.

What is your goals for the car? Are you looking for wealth? If your looking at money, either way it is going to cost you to get where you want.

Take some more time and research www.hemmings.com, some camaro boards. Go to a antique show and query some of the Chevy folks.

You have time to research and invest either way.

Dutch

·
Registered
118 Posts
Unless this car is dead on perfect - like has been stored indoors and has less than 15K original miles on it I say do with it as you please.

The reason they only made 2,200 of these is no one wanted a Camaro with a straight six in 79 either.

Honestly, look at what sells and for how much. If you make a RS clone out of it and transplant a big block it will be worth much more unless it is in perfect condition.

I know this isn't exact, but Kelley Blue book value for a 1984 V6 Camaro in excellent condition from a private party is $1,100.
(they don't list prior to 84 online...)

·
Tazz
2,048 Posts
Its YOUR car do what you want with it! Modified cars are bringing just as much as the stock ones on resale if thats what your worried about. I just bought a 1985 car with less than 33k on it and its been garage kept and looks and smells like new for $1500.

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Fix what you have now back to the best you can do affordibly. Then when you later find that perfect motor and trans you can bolt it right in to a finshed rolling car. The same with all the other upgrades you do. After the basic car is up and rolling adding disk breaks or a motor or a rearend is a small project.

This way you can drive it and enjoy it untill your ready to modify it. Who knows maybe somebody will see it and just HAVE to have it the way it is. Put more money into the next project.

Basicly i go by the rule of thumb. If someone wanted the car when it was new it will be worth something when its old. If no one wanted it when new then no one will pay much for it when its old.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts