Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its been quite a few years since I gave up drag racing so its been quite an experience going to some OT races, culminating in the Bakersfield reunion and El Mirage dry lake runs last weekend. Talking to some engine builders there & hearing about 4 angle valve cutting, not grinding, coated pistons & valves, 14/1 compression, & on & on!! Whew, things have moved along!! So, is there a publication or website where I can get up to speed with current engine & set up technology?? Also, any suggestions for a good re-entry class to ease back into OT drag racing?? I'm in the Pacific northwest.

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
9,581 Posts
ole timers

Hi..I thik us ole timers can stick with the vintage cars..there is quite a bit of interest in those cars..check it out..

Goodguys Vintage Drag Racing...
These events, primarily based in the Western United States, take race fans back to the golden era of drag racing. While the cars look nostalgic with the likes of front engined top fuel cars and full-bodied gassers, under their skin - they're well-engineered, hi-tech modern day race cars. Spectacular performances and thrilling racing are the result with a feel of a 60's drag meet. Unlimited access to the pits and drivers and a grass roots style of competition make these events fan favorites. The famed March Meet, held under Goodguys sanction each spring at historic Famoso Raceway in Bakersfield is the Goodguys cornerstone Vintage Drag Racing event.

Maybe we need one of these young-uns to get us to speed on some of it..:D

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, thats just what I'm talking about. I was just at the Famosa reunion & the engine technology has gone past me. So, how/where to catch up??

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Just search the net. Any of the topics you are wanting to know about can be researched on your favorite search engine. Wait until you start going into EFI building and tuning. That is where hotrodding will be in 10 years. I think in that time you will see much fewer carbs than EFI engines.

Chris

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
9,581 Posts
Catching up

I dunno, It seems that today it takes cubic dollars to be competitive..a problem in all of racing..

I would like to get out and run but then I do not have any idea of where to go any more..

I am writng a race rule for the car I am building but then it is more an academic exercise and I am not expecting great things..

At this stage having a good time and getting out is more on the agenda..

hope we can find something that can stir some juices..

:thumbup:

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Catching up

OneMoreTime said:
I dunno, It seems that today it takes cubic dollars to be competitive..a problem in all of racing..

I would like to get out and run but then I do not have any idea of where to go any more..

I am writng a race rule for the car I am building but then it is more an academic exercise and I am not expecting great things..

At this stage having a good time and getting out is more on the agenda..

hope we can find something that can stir some juices..

:thumbup:
Yep, I think you're right on all counts. BTW, I notice you're in Wash State & just wondering if you make it down to Woodburn, Ore. for the OT drags & if its worthwhile??

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
9,581 Posts
Woodburn?

Have not been there in years but it may be worthwhile to just enjoy the trip..may find out something..

Most of what I do is ole guys social hour now..I am slowly getting my roadster together and a buddy is building an El_Camino..Old style cars like we used to run..

I have been going to the swap meets and shows...Last Good guys show in Puyallup was good..Got some good info from the guys at the Edelbrock booth..

Ya know they have a complete computer controlled injection system for old style cars now..?? That was cool..Saw that coming a few years ago..

Since I am building an oldstyle car on a budget I will stick to what we ran years ago..This is really one more time..

Take care

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Woodburn?

OneMoreTime said:
Have not been there in years but it may be worthwhile to just enjoy the trip..may find out something..

Most of what I do is ole guys social hour now..I am slowly getting my roadster together and a buddy is building an El_Camino..Old style cars like we used to run..

I have been going to the swap meets and shows...Last Good guys show in Puyallup was good..Got some good info from the guys at the Edelbrock booth..

Ya know they have a complete computer controlled injection system for old style cars now..?? That was cool..Saw that coming a few years ago..

Since I am building an oldstyle car on a budget I will stick to what we ran years ago..This is really one more time..

Take care
Yep, I was looking into EFI to go with my 6 carb manifold for one of my nailhead buicks, though not as a race engine, just for a street roadster. Don't forget Monroe swap meet this coming WE.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts