Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've removed the center and bearings on a pilot bearing. The outer ring is impossible to get out. I've used a tool that goes behind the bearing with opposing hooks and nothing. I've banged one side with a chisel, and even used and open ended wrench. It doesn't even budge, I've put WD-40 too. What else can i try???????

·
Registered
3,961 Posts
if you have a MIG welder, run a bead halfway on the ID of the ring and let it cool---it will shrink and come out easily

·
Registered
305 Posts
Some people get a shaft that is close/slip fit to the ring. Then pack it with grease behind the bearing and insert the shaft. Strike the shaft with a hammer and it hydraulically pushes the bearing out.

Another way is to get an air motor and a carbide rotary burr and grind a groove in the bearing till its so thin at the groove, striking it with a chisel will cause it to break.

·
More for Less Racer
20,387 Posts
Some people get a shaft that is close/slip fit to the ring. Then pack it with grease behind the bearing and insert the shaft. Strike the shaft with a hammer and it hydraulically pushes the bearing out.
Plain old white bread(or any bread/bun/roll) works better....it doesn't get all over and make a mess or splatter you....just keep wadding it up and packing it in.

Seriously, no joke, try it and you'll see.

Sounds like the outer race is corroded in though, and that will likely take heat to get broken free, either a weld bead or the gas axe.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Plain old white bread(or any bread/bun/roll) works better....it doesn't get all over and make a mess or splatter you....just keep wadding it up and packing it in.

Seriously, no joke, try it and you'll see.

Sounds like the outer race is corroded in though, and that will likely take heat to get broken free, either a weld bead or the gas axe.
Wet paper towel works well also.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
The bread trick works amazing. You may go through half a loaf and wonder where it is all going but it works.

With this ring bread wont work. You can try a slide hammer with a 3 or 4 jaw puller. Or you can do what I have done in the past and being extremly careful using a dremel like tool make a notch then another notch until your 3/4 to 7/8 through the ring. Then use a sharp chisel to hit on the notch to break it.
Sometimes one notch is enough. Sometimes they are really seized and it takes 2 notches.

Install a brass bushing and never have the ring problem again. They pop right out using bread.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I would be a little cautious about applying heat with a torch. It is possible to ignite the oil fumes in the oil pan and it might harm the rear main seal. Not saying that anything bad WILL happen, only that it might happen if too much heat is applied. As someone who pointed a cutting torch in the wrong direction as a kid and blew up a shock absorber and singed my eyebrows, I have great respect for torches. Lesson learned for me............

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
Ive had to do it with a hacksaw blade and a little dab of engine oil from the dipstick - shrug.
I cut a tiny strip out of that 'outer ring' (thats called the "outer bearing race") Then I had to wedge a screwdriver under the newly cut edge and tap it with a mallet to get therace to want to move. It was pretty corroded in there. I was able to pry it out, but I could have cut it into chunks and weasled them out.

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
oh, once you get the race out; take some sandpaper and go around the bore to make sure theres no burrs, rust, corrosion and junk in there that will contaminate the new bearing or make it harder to install. You can put your new bearing in the freezer for a couple hours, and use a bearing driver if possible, if not; you can use the backside of a socket, but the proper driver is preffered

1 - 12 of 12 Posts