Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! Ok here's the question. I have a 1954 Chevy 5 window pickup. When I received it today I noticed there is a black lever to the right of the steering column under the dash that seems to move forward and back with different stages in-between. Nothing seems to be opening or closing, but I did notice a sort of triangular shape cutout towards the front windshield that looks like it may have opened at one time on the outside of the car above the hood opening. Is this a vent that should be opening and closing when I move the handle? If it is, can any one steer me in the right direction as to how to repair it or a good book to buy for a beginner on how to fix such things? This is my 1st old truck but honestly I am not a mechanic but am not afraid to experiment. i bought it simply because the color was cool and it looks sharp as all heck.
Thanx,
Mari

·
you can never know to much
102 Posts
I BELIEVE that is the handle for it, but not 100% certain. I have a '50 Chevy 3100 (in my avatar) but it doesn't have a handle under there, it was probably taken off (or broke) a looonnggg time ago!

Got any pictures of the truck? I'm interested in seeing how it looks :thumbup:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello Country!
As soon as I figure out how to post pics I will. In the meantime I did however find out that there was a loose cable that I reattached to the handle and the air vent opens up and it actually does pull in some nice breezes as you cruise along.

·
102 Posts
Zoop said:
Hello Country!
As soon as I figure out how to post pics I will. In the meantime I did however find out that there was a loose cable that I reattached to the handle and the air vent opens up and it actually does pull in some nice breezes as you cruise along.
Glad you got it figured out! :D Did the '54 have the leg vent? (It slips my mind at the moment.. :drunk: )

For posting pictures, I recommend photobucket, it's pretty straight foward, or you can upload to the HR gallery, or the simplest way would be to hit "manage attachments" under "Additional Options" when your replying, it should come up another window, from which you hit "browse" and find the pictures on your computer. Hit upload, and then reply to the thread! :thumbup:

·
build it like you like them
277 Posts
buggmann

the handle you are asking about does open that vent
it should open and it should have three settings for it
to open at the 1953 chevy i had was like that as far as fixing it
go to www.lmctruck.com they have a free parts catalog for the truck you have and they have pics in the book on how it should work here is a page out of the book i have with the vent hope this helps :cool:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,735 Posts
countryboytn said:
.......you can upload to the HR gallery, or the simplest way would be to hit "manage attachments" under "Additional Options" when your replying, it should come up another window, from which you hit "browse" and find the pictures on your computer. Hit upload, and then reply to the thread! :thumbup:
Just remember that you need to re-size your pictures to under 300MB or you won't be able to attach them to your posts. You can do that with the software utility that came with your camera.

·
Car? Truck? Who Cares
2,485 Posts
DanTwoLakes said:
Just remember that you need to re-size your pictures to under 300MB or you won't be able to attach them to your posts. You can do that with the software utility that came with your camera.
C'mon
Dan-----even with high speed internet, most of us will have dozed off before 300MB got loaded :D

300kb

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks!

Thank you all for replying to me. I went to that site Buggman and i am in parts heaven. I futzed around with the handle and with a little tweaking I got it to work.
I'll as one more question for all of you and it in relation to shaved doors. I have those. It seems I have to click the drivers side several times before it will pop hard enough to open the door. Other times it will work on the 1st shot. The passenger side is not a problem. I restore pinball machines in my spare time and i know if I have a problem with a solenoid that the flipper will not have enough umph to hit the ball. Could that possibly be the same with the remote door poppers? that is if they are called poppers. They are not the kind that uses a magnet, it has a remote key fob. I believe the company is Amenity or something to that effect.
Ok Country I'm going to try and post a pic or 2 below of my truck. Hope it works.
Thanx All,
Mari

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,735 Posts
Bryan59EC said:
C'mon
Dan-----even with high speed internet, most of us will have dozed off before 300MB got loaded :D

300kb
Right you are. Did you ever notice how close to the "K" the "M" is on a keyboard?

·
102 Posts
That truck looks GREAT! Don't see that color very often, and can't say I'v ever seen taillights like that either! :cool:

Can't help with the door poppers, I don't have ANY experience there, but I would assume they work on the same principle as what your talking about!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.