Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
kll8594 said:
1992 rebuilt gen v 454 over heats with 180' thermostat. any ideas?
I had the same problem with my rebuilt 454.

Are you overheating on the highway or in town?
What type of fan are you using?

After hearing many different opinions are trying different things, changing to a 160' thermostat is what corrected the problem.

·
Registered
15,319 Posts
kll8594 said:
griffin radiator, duel electric fans, surpentine belt, and new 180 thermostat
It's important to know when it overheats. Idle overheat and cruise/WOT overheat have different causes and fixes. It's useful to know about the serpentine belts as GM pumps for OEM serpentine and V-belts rotate backwards to each other vis-a-vis the drive used. The pumps share a common casting number and are differentiated by the impeller shape, having them improperly matched to the belt system is a common problem. How fans are mounted is important; pullers with a shroud are better than pushers, none are as good as the OEM pump driven fan and shroud.

What it's installed in is very important, Old timey roadsters and rods in 1920, 30, and prewar 40's bodies have a lot of problems with big motors as it's difficult to get enough flat face area for the radiator and space to flow air around the engine. Open hoods can be a real problem, surprise, surprise, surprise!

So you need to be more forth coming as to what this is and where, when and how the problems occur if anyone is to be of assistance.

Bogie

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the engine is a 1992 gen v high preformance crate motor retro fitted into a 1989 suburban 4x4. i did not do the work. this all started when i put a new thermostat and antifreeze in. the head casket blow out only on the right side with water in cylinder 6. redid both heads and all seals. the vin numbers indicate a posible boat motor. i do see water flow with the thermostat out. the electric fans pull and air conditioning is not on and this appends at idle. timimg is dead on. the pump runs counter clockwise to rotation of crank. added machanical gauge to system at the water pump. it indicates 270'. the heads are 502 gen v and water jackets are only open at the rear with only one open.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.