Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help!

I have a problem with overheating on a 69 383 motor that is in a 33 plymouth. It doesn't have a thermostat, it has a new waterpump. The car has been sitting for 15 years and back then the radiator was new and it has a electric fan. Is the radiator the problem or what else could cause over heating? thanks

·
Registered
51 Posts
This one`s easy, you have to have a thermostat in your cooling system. the coolant flows too quickly thru the radiator and doesnt have a chance to cool down. try that first. I dont like electric fans, they dont flow at hiway speeds. the air going through is faster at speeds than the fan can handle, thus it`s like the air hits a wall, the slow spinning fan. let me know how it works out. Try using a mechanical fan and a shroud if room permits.

[ September 04, 2001: Message edited by: edcroozer ]

·
Registered
47 Posts
You definitely need a thermostat. That is your problem. The coolant needs time to cool off in the radiator before being recycled into the engine.

·
Registered
294 Posts
If the T-stat doesn't work check the radiator. After sitting for so long the coolant will start to thicken in the lower parts of the system. You might also need to flush the system really really good.

·
Registered
74 Posts
You may want to open the radiator and check the water flow befoe installing the thermostat. After sitting that long your radiator could be clogged.

·
Registered
4 Posts
hi there, you should also put water in the radiator with a lubricant & antirust or rust inhibitor purchased from a local parts house. if you are in an area that freezes up in the winter then antifreeze would be in need as overheatint would not seem to be a problem but in the summer when over heating is a prob check with prestone as that is what ole son uses. these old cars were not designed for antifreeze-antifreeze was designed for the areas that got too cold for water and people just left it in all year long. also i have used an electric fan for many years without any problems, its 2900 cfm with a temperature controler( set to come on at 175 and off at 140. :)

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,086 Posts
It doesn't say in the post your location or how the car was stored. Do you live up North? If so was the car garaged or did it sit outside? If so than a crack could be possible. Otherwise a clog is also a possiblity.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts