Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1940 Willy's. The further I drive the car the hotter it gets. New aluminum radiator. New full shroud. New spal slim line 16" fan. Car runs good but just gets hot. It has a small block chevy engine. Carburator and a mild cam. There is a sheet of aluminum blocking air flow from passing out from under the radiator Please send ideas. Thanks.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
over heating 350

Temp when pulling in the driveway was 250 on one guage and 235 on another.

The aluminum sheet runs from the bottom of the radiator to the frame under the radiator to keep fresh air coming in through the grill from passing under the radiator. I did pull off the goose neck where the thermostat goes and voila, no thermostat. I put in a new one and will try it out today. If that doesn't work the aluminum sheet comes out.

Keep the ideas coming.

·
Music and Hot Rods
1,747 Posts
Temp when pulling in the driveway was 250 on one guage and 235 on another.

The aluminum sheet runs from the bottom of the radiator to the frame under the radiator to keep fresh air coming in through the grill from passing under the radiator. I did pull off the goose neck where the thermostat goes and voila, no thermostat. I put in a new one and will try it out today. If that doesn't work the aluminum sheet comes out.

Keep the ideas coming.
I've got a V8 S10 that runs hot on the hiway also. I am assuming it is because there is no stat. Winter now with no chance to work on it, but come spring i'll bet that slowing down that coolant will drop the temps.

·
Registered
15,631 Posts
1940 Willy's. The further I drive the car the hotter it gets. New aluminum radiator. New full shroud. New spal slim line 16" fan. Car runs good but just gets hot. It has a small block chevy engine. Carburator and a mild cam. There is a sheet of aluminum blocking air flow from passing out from under the radiator Please send ideas. Thanks.
First place I'd look is at pulley ratios. The further one gets from what the factory would have used the more problems you begin to get. These old car instllations are usually pretty much on edge as there just isn't enough space for a modern radiator. So if you slow the pump while hunting more power you usually end up with a lack of sufficient flow to where the engine gradually overheats.

If it overheats without a thermostat this condition will probably not change with one.

Modern air flow through the radiator is less concerned with ducting air into the radiator than with creating a low pressure area under the engine compartment to help vent air through the radiator and out of the engine room. This is why most new vehicles have a chin spoiler.

The addition of an oil cooler can be of large benefit to reducing the coolant temp. An effective oil cooler can take 10-20 degrees off the coolant temp.

Bogie

·
Administrator
8,551 Posts
Bogies Idea of a chin spoiler may be exactly what you need.
The 80s firebirds and camaros would overheat on the highway after the wife knocked off the chin spoiler at the piggly wiggly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.