Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just though i would mention something that just came back to me. Years ago i bought a 1971 camero from my local dealer who wanted it gone, because it used alot, alot of oil. About a quart every 100 miles. My brother took it to my dad farm and we pulled the motor. When we pulled it down, the bore wasn't bad, bearings looked new. Valves looked bad. My brother told me about chevrolet had 5thousands over sized rings. I ordered them from deter chevrolet and they arrived a few days later. I had the head-valves redone. We reemed the cylinders and honed them. We then put it all back together using the same bearings, oversized rings, rebuilt heads. We drove that car for many years afer that until i sold it and the young guy bought it. I saw that car years later at a car show, I was suprised to find out that the motor was still going strong. Just though i'd throw that out there. That was thirty years ago. don't even know if thevrolet even makes those rings any more.

·
Administrator
18,646 Posts
Not surprising.....Standard rings probably would have done the same thing as long as long the bores werent worn too much. The 5 thou oversize rings are available so a builder can file them down to get ring gap correct on HiPerf engine builds, not to correct worn bores. If your bores had been worn that much, you would have had piston slap after the rebuild

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you have a possible piston slap, you don't rering. the oversize ring gives you the oppertunity, to do the rering, but regap for clearance to be closer. Its not what i'm recommendilng. It has very limited use. only did it for the one build because it was practical, all our other builds were total new.

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
For someone doing a search

What can happen is the +0.005" rings can butt together and bust the ring lands if the engine is run hard. Won't necessarily happen every time, but to use the oversize rings w/o checking/correcting the end gap as needed is asking for trouble.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.