Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Learning from your mistakes
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is actually a general question because the i think the problem would exist in all cars, How do you mount a console to the ceiling of an AD pickup? I'm talking about a console with at least a CD-player in it, probably 2 small lights also. The roof metal and ceiling metal are the same, so you can't just shoot screws through it, do you make bows extending out from the reinforced areas near the windshield and doors?

Does anyone have any pictures to show how they did this?

·
Acoustic Rock ... for real.
1,983 Posts
I'm planning on doing the same thing, but haven't gotten to it just yet.

I believe there is a mounting strip for the headliner across the roof of the truck which is located at the center ... and, of course, the weight of the overhead console will be up front, at the windshield.

Is there any kind of glue that might work?

I'm gonna post this question over at The Stovebolt Site and see if any of those guys have done this with their trucks.

Alan
54 Chevy Pickup

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
Just a small suggestion. No matter how you construct your overhead console, install some sort of venting, even it is just a few square inches where air can get in and out. CD players can run VERY hot and if the heat is trapped up there you can get some ugly results with your CD player (and possibly upholstery). One of my projects over the winter is to put a couple of vents in my '32's overhead. I'm thinking of even putting a tiny fan up there to keep the air moving.

·
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That sounds about right for how I was thinking. I'll be installing the supports and radio over my x-mas break, probably closer to mid january, so I'll take good pictures to show how I achieved my madness.

About the fans, that is a good point, have you looked at computer fans. they are making some now that are designed to be "stealth" so that you don't really hear them running and most of them run on 12v.

·
Just a firefighter
324 Posts
Guess we all have the same idea

I'm planning on putting on in my '46 Chevy Panel also. I do have a little advantage though because I've got the over the windshield console for the wipers to work off of. It will run from there to one of the ribs for the head liner. I'm doing like everyone else after that CD and dome light. Should work out alright hope you guys have good luck with yours also.

David

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
guba_unus said:
... have you looked at computer fans. they are making some now that are designed to be "stealth" so that you don't really hear them running and most of them run on 12v.
My first thought was a computer fan but I thought they ran like 3 volts or something. Maybe someone on here has fiddled with one of these fans and hooked it directly to a 12 volt battery. I'd be interested in knowing the results.

·
Registered
323 Posts
cboy said:
My first thought was a computer fan but I thought they ran like 3 volts or something. Maybe someone on here has fiddled with one of these fans and hooked it directly to a 12 volt battery. I'd be interested in knowing the results.
CPU fans might be 3V, but standard case fans are 12VDC - no modifications needed to use in a car.

·
Registered
323 Posts
While they can be had cheaply, I would recommend spending a few bucks as guba suggested to get a quiet one. I've seen them at 12db and lower but watch the airflow vs noise - a fan that doesn't turn makes no noise at all, if you know what I mean. :) Some even have a temperature-controlled automatic power switch.

For optimal cooling, make sure you have an inlet and an outlet for the air.

Sounds pretty cool, keep us posted!

·
Registered
559 Posts
Guba, be sure and add me to the list when you get some photos of your overhead consol.
Thanks

·
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok, I got no finished product to show yet cause 4 weeks of winter break just aren't enough time. But I figured out how I'm going to make the mounts and I have some pictures to show the basic idea, it might be a while before I get to do much to this again. Anyways, this first picture shows just overall what one of the two support beams will look like in the top of the cab. You can see the temporary spot welds holding the shape of the angle iron at the front of the cab. Their is another bend halfway back, and judging by the light between the bar and the roof, I need to make another to get a little tighter fit. The iron is 1/8" x 3/4". I plan to have 2 pieces exactly like what you see here, I'll explain the theoretical mounting on the next post.

Attachments

·
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok, this picture shows the front mount. I've gotta deal with my wipers cause I wanted something absurd and impractical like wipers above the windows. Oh well, they kinda look like antenna. anyways, I plan to use a flat piece of 1/8" x 2" to bolt to the front support here. It will be shaped to match the contour of the front support. Then I'll weld the front to rear support rods to this piece.

Attachments

·
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
final picture for now. For anybody that has messed with an AD pickup, they will know about the thin headliner retainer bow "thingy" that bolts across the back of the roof. I'm going to replace this flimsy rod with a piece of angle iron, probably same stock as used for the front to rear supports, then i'll bolt it in place using the original holes for the headliner retainer. There were like 6 or 7 of them so that should spread the load out quite evenly. Then the front to back support rods will be welded to this piece.
I plan to make this something that if you undo the bolts and drop down the back first, then you could slide it out of the cab, that way it will be fully assembled before putting it in. If you have any questions, just ask me, I'll probably put together a drawing or two of this in the next week or so.

Attachments

·
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Resurrecting a dead thread, muhahaha
anyways, here is a picture of the overhead console in the construction of it. The rear bar mounts to where the old headliner bow went and almost exactly mimics the profile of the original bow. This rear bar is held on with 7, 1/2 #8 screws. To this the front to back ribs are welded. At the front, the ribs curve down and sit on top of the front "roll bar" built into the cab. I have to make plates to weld onto these ribs so that I can bolt the front of the ribs in place. From this, i will just drill holes where necessary and hang the radio, 2 tap-touch courtesy lights, and then skin it with headliner material. The ribs are drilled with holes to lighten it, I didn't put to much effort into the holes, so they are not in alignment and they are different sizes cause I messed up. But you can see how this will mount, I hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
Yes, thanks for resurrecting this thread, Guba. I wanted to add a side note regarding the overhead cooling part of the discussion anyway. Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures of the install but a couple weeks ago I fabbed up a mount and put an old computer fan up in my console to blow across my CD player. I also cut a 2" air vent in the headliner and put a cover (actually from the back of a hair dryer of all things) over it. The fan can also draw/exhaust air through the gap between the CD player and the mounting hole. The fan is wired directly off the hot wire from the ignition so the fan funs whenever the car is on. One other side note, the fan is from a computer case that was a few years old (not the super quiet newer fan type) and I can't hear it at all when it runs. I can feel the air movement out the vent, but no sound...so I wouldn't worry too much about the noise from an older fan, especially in a car with reasonably loud pipes on it.

The results so far have been pretty remarkable. My CDs used to actually be hot to the touch when I would remove them from the player. Now they come out at ambient temp. or only slightly warmer. And so far it seems to have eliminated my prior problems with distorted and interrupted playing when the unit got hot after extended playing time.

And nice work on your install Guba. Thanks for the pics as well.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.